shrug-l: Re: ArcSketch

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit at dep.state.fl.us
Wed May 3 10:44:25 EDT 2006

I took a quick look at ArcSketch last night, and I agree that it is a useful
tool to get people around a computer and start drawing stuff, but it isn't an
advanced data management tool or anything.

Like Stuart stated, at the end of your sketching and conceptualizing, a GIS
analyst takes all of those features and imports them into proper feature
classes, where they have proper data management, like attribute domains,
feature creation dates, who created it, and locational verification
information.

The example I keep thinking of is having a roads and trails data layer for a
park -- you might use ArcSketch to get several interested parties together to
quickly conceptualize a roads and trails plan, but then when you reclassify a
paved road to a dirt road, or a paved trail to a mulched trail, and need to
calculate building supplies or areas to be cleared based upon length of
different road and trail types, you are aren't going to do it by just
changing the symbols in your ArcSketch geodatabase layers.

Sure makes me miss the days of easily copying and pasting graphics as
features into shapefiles in good ole ArcView 3.x!

Richard Butgereit
Environmental Manager
GIS Coordinator, WRM, Florida DEP
richard.butgereit at dep.state.fl.us