shrug-l: Address data standardization

Wolfe, Heather HWolfe at seminolecountyfl.gov
Fri Oct 27 10:05:46 EDT 2006

Good morning all!
I have a question about something that is probably not an ESRI product,
but I hope that someone might have knowledge of where we could get it.
Seminole County has a point address shapefile that is geocodable in one
address format. The problem is that many people from many different
departments geocode against this shapefile (known as Situs) and their
input databases are usually not in correct Situs format and do not use
Situs naming conventions. I have looked at different address
standardization software, but they generally want to standardize to the
USPS format. My object is to find an address standardization software
that is inexpensive and customizable to standardize to our Situs format,
and that also functions as an address cleaner in that it standardizes to
our data entry protocol (i.e., STATE ROAD 436 becomes SR436). We have a
programmer capable of customizing it for us, but we .want to avoid
having to write a totally new piece of software. Can anyone give me any
advice on where I might find this? I have done quite a bit of research
on my own about this, and have not found what I am looking for- all I
have found is expensive data verification services who want to sell me
the farm when all I need is a wheelbarrow.
Thanks!

Heather Wolfe
Sr. GIS Analyst, Planning & Development
Seminole County Government
1101 E. First St.
Sanford, FL 32771

Office 407-665-7378
Fax 407-665-7412
HWolfe at seminolecountyfl.gov
www.seminolecountyfl.gov

-****Florida has a very broad Public Records Law. Virtually all written communications to or from State and Local Officials and employees are public records available to the public and media upon request. Seminole County policy does not differentiate between personal and business emails. E-mail sent on the County system will be considered public and will only be withheld from disclosure if deemed confidential pursuant to State Law.****-