shrug-l: NAD83/90

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Wed Sep 6 15:15:27 EDT 2006

Here's Dave Doyle's response.  Please note that the height component in NAD
83 (1990) HPGN/HARN is the ellipsoid (essentially the GPS) height, which is
NOT the same as NAVD 88 vertical datum, which is based on tidal (a.k.a.
sea-level) reference measurements.  Most elevations (maps, surveys, etc.) are
referenced to the NAVD 88 datum.

-- John

John

Good questions. Hopefully I can answer them without getting too long winded
(which is very hard for me).

NAD 27 was a purely horizontal datum

NAD 83 in it's original solution of 1986, now referenced as NAD 83 (1986) was
also purely horizontal.

NAD 83 (1990) is both HPGN and HARN. In 1992 the name of the GPS survey
program was called the High Precision GPS Network (HPGN). Sometime in 1992
someone at NGS (not me) had the idea to change it to High Accuracy Reference
Network (HARN). So regardless of the name change the process or concept is
still the same. Now, for the first time a vertical component was added which
did not exist with NAD 27 and NAD 83 (1986), but it's the ellipsoid height
component, which is NOT the NAVD 88. NAVD 88 is strictly a vertical datum and
is not in any way related to NAD 83 other than control points that are the
realization of these two datums may have well determined values.

I hope this makes some sense. If it's not clear please call me

(301-713-3178) and I will be happy to explain this in greater detail.

Regards -- Dave Doyle

  _____