shrug-l: Wetlands Maps

Richard.Butgereit at dca.state.fl.us Richard.Butgereit at dca.state.fl.us
Thu Sep 21 18:06:06 EDT 2006

Regarding wetland maps used by DEP and EPA--

Though National Wetlands Inventory (NWI) maps are available from the
LABINS website (and other sources like http://wetlandsfws.er.usgs.gov/NWI)
, please place close attention to the cavaets-- in Florida, a formal
wetland delineation is required to determine where wetlands are and aren't
for legal and permitting purposes. FDEP's Wetland Evaluation and
Delineation Section performs Formal Wetland Delineations, and may be
contacted at http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/wetlands/delineation for
more information.

The maps available through LABINS may be used for informational purposes
only! And may not be used at all for legal or permitting purposes.

For the purposes of determining whether or not a wetland is on your
propoerty, an NWI map indicating the presence of a wetland on your
property may, at best, be used to determine that for sure you need to
contact FDEP or a water management district further to have a formal
wetland delineation performed. Absence on an NWI map of a wetland on your
property in no way guarantees that one isn't there nor alleviates you from
the consequences of building, filling, or other activities without
obtaining a proper permit-- only having a wetland delination performed can
provide that assurance.

Thanks,
Richard Butgereit
GIS Administrator, Florida DEM