shrug-l: SUMMATION - Halo not exporting

Brandt, Holli HBrandt at ene.com
Wed Feb 7 13:06:20 EST 2007

Hello All -
I thought you all would like to see all the responses I received on this
issue as they were quit varied.....

--------
Yes, I've seen it in some of my exports, but not all.  I include
true-type fonts on export and haven't seen it since.

-------

If you have acrobat standard you could export to the layout as an *.eps
file.  You'll also want to select the option to embed all document
fonts.  Right click on the *.eps file in windows explorer and select
convert to adobe PDF.  I've also found this is a good way to reduce the
overall file size of the pdf's.

-------

I've always had problems with exporting to PDFs.  To work around it I
downloaded a free print to PDF program that works great.

-------

If you are outlining the text itself, you might try duplicating the type
layer, giving the new layer an outline line and fill of the halo color
and put it *behind the text layer you want to be halo'd. This allows for
the postscript to render out the two text layers one on top of the other
and that seems to work OK. It is more manual, but may be easier for the
output to PDF to understand.

-------

ArcMap requires a hardware device context, or HDC, acquired from the
printer, for all display and output. When exporting, ArcMap uses the HDC
from the default printer on the computer. Sometimes, the default
printer's HDC may cause problems, particularly with halos. This problem
has been seen to occur most frequently with printers that are known as
multifunction printers, such as Savin printers.

Solution or Workaround
Change the default printer to a non multifunction printer.

-------

For me that last one worked...I change my default printer from the
standard office printer to my plotter.  With the plotter as my default
printer it works fine.  Now I just have to remember that when I print
other documents.

Thanks for everyone's responses.
- Holli

Holli M. Brandt

Ecology & Environment, Inc.
324 Southport Circle, Suite 103  Note New Contact Information!!
Virginia Beach, VA 23452
Phone:  (757) 456-5356, ext. 5002
Fax:  (757) 456-5356
E-mail:  hbrandt at ene.com