shrug-l: Embedded Quotation Marks

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Thu Feb 8 10:12:33 EST 2007

Here's a little bug that bothers me.

In most languages, there is a way to embed special characters in a string
literal.

So that, for example if $ has a meaning to a language, you might use %$ in a
literal to tell the language to embed the $ sign in the literal and not run
the $ function (whatever it may be).  In this example, a %% would tell the
parser that the literal contains a percent sign.

I have not been able to find a similar feature in the VB scripting language
(I've tried a bunch of the "usual" special characters, but none seem to
work).  So in a literal (which starts and ends with a " sign) if you want to
include the " sign as part of the literal, there is no way to tell VB that "
is a symbol and not the end  of the string.  I have temporarily gotten around
this by using two ' signs in my literals (e.g., for degrees, minutes and
seconds of lat/long) but there has to be a better solution.

I looked through the VB 6.0 manuals and could not find such a solution,
however.

Any thoughts?

-- John