shrug-l: Heads Up

Mayo, Michele L. Michele.Mayo at dep.state.fl.us
Fri Jul 20 17:08:51 EDT 2007

Hello List,

A proposal was introduced in Thursday's SHRUG quarterly meeting to
investigate a merger of our annual conference with that of FLURISA, known as
the Joint Mapping Conference.

Lee Hartsfield, current SHRUG president, announced that he had recently been
elected president of FLURISA.  Lee now serves as president for both
organizations.  After giving a very general outline of his proposal to
discuss combining the two conferences, Lee asked the small gathering to vote
for or against further discussions with FLURISA, saying that, according to
SHRUG by-laws, there were enough people present to take a vote on the matter.
Although several of us expressed reservations, Lee did take a vote and his
motion was carried.

This is not a trivial decision.  In my opinion, any proposal that could
fundamentally change the character of our organization should be put to the
SHRUG membership at large before any negotiations are conducted with outside
parties.  The grass-roots character of SHRUG has kept our organization
strong, solvent, vibrant and valuable for eight years.  We could lose that if
we fail to keep the membership informed and involved in plotting our future
course.

If this proposed action concerns you, please let your SHRUG officers know.
Their contact information can be found here:

http://www.shrug-gis.info/shrug_business.htm

Michele Mayo, GISP

Florida DEP, Beaches and Coastal Systems

Coastal Data Acquisition Section

3900 Commonwealth Blvd. MS 300

Tallahassee, FL 32399-3000

850.413.7776