shrug-l: Surveyors, AARRGGHH!!!

C. Henry Depew sisu26 at nettally.com
Fri Jul 20 18:06:57 EDT 2007

Greetings!
      According to one source:

       "The readjustment of the North American Datum of 1927 (NAD
27), Old Hawaiian Datum and Puerto Rico Datum to  the North American
Datum of 1983 (NAD 83 (1986)) in  July 1986 was both a change in
reference ellipsoid and a  "clean up" of nearly 200 years of
surveying data held by  NGS. Based on this readjustment and
redefinition, positions of points can change between 10 - 100 meters,
in the conterminous United  States, more than 200 meters in Alaska,
Puerto Rico and the Virgin  Island and in excess of 400 meters in Hawaii.
      Consequently, the shift  between the various datums are not
uniform across the United States  and there is no single value that
can be applied to latitudes or to  longitudes based on old datums to
convert them to NAD 83. "

     I had a piece of property surveyed since the stakes in the
ground did not make sense.  The surveyor came back with a new set of
stakes and said that the base point had three iron rods in the ground
and he used the center of these markers to start his survey.  Since
it was a corner lot on a county road, I contact the county road
people and asked what was involved to find where the right-of-way
ran.  A county survey crew came out and, using a different reference
point, put in some more stakes to mark the right of way.  I now had
the stakes at the corners of the lot that were there to start with,
the stakes put in by the surveyor I hired, and the stakes put in by
the county road survey crew.  The county's stakes and the ones put in
by the surveyor I hired were within an inch of each other so I took
the county's stakes as the corner markers.  Who knows what would have
happened if GPS had been around back then.

C. Henry Depew
sisu26 at nettally.com