shrug-l: block kriging

Mike McManus mmcmanus at tnc.org
Fri Aug 15 13:12:33 EDT 2008

I used the geostatistical analyst extension to do some ordinary kriging
of precipitation data so I can then block krige the predicted rainfall
for specific watersheds.  After the geostatistical layer is produced of
predicted rainfall I then do the following steps to obtain the rainfall
predictions in the watersheds of interest:
1.  Right-click on the geostatistical layer then properties then
symbology tab and select grid.
2.  Then I select the geostatistical layer again, do data export to
raster.
3.  I then use the spatial analyst to do zonal statistics on that raster
data.

Under the symbology tab, there are options of setting number of cells
and cell size and number of predictions in each cell.  Also doing the
data export raster step there are options to set the number of rows,
columns, and cell size, and to set block interpolation.  Does anyone
have any advice, experience, or references as to how to decide what the
options should be set to under the symbology tab, step 1, and the export
to raster, step 2?
Thanks,
Mike

Michael McManus