shrug-l: GeoPDF's --- Map2PDF and ArcGIS 9.3

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit at em.myflorida.com
Fri Nov 14 15:42:10 EST 2008

As a follow up to my post earlier today about the Map2PDF workshop next
week, I thought I would follow up with some more information regarding
these tools, particularly how they relate to the new capabilities of
ArcGIS 9.3.

For those unfamiliar with Map2PDF (http://www.terragotech.com
<http://www.terragotech.com/> ), it is essentially an extension to
ArcGIS which allows maps to be exported as PDF's with extended
functionality. Due to this extended functionality, these are called
"GeoPDF's" (but note that the file extension is still ".pdf").

Specifically, both Lat/Long and US National Grid coordinates may be
scrolled, clicked on, and zoomed into with a GeoPDF map. Also, the map
maker may export attributes for vector features, and these feature
attributes may be identified, exported and queried. So, with the
extension and ArcGIS, map makers may make maps for distribution, and map
users using the free Adobe Reader and free GeoPDF tool bar, may have
some "light-weight" GIS functionality.

Now, the Map2PDF product is evolving (including being renamed TerraGo
Publisher and a TerraGo Mobile in the future) and there are many more
features, like support for GPS units, raster tools, and support for
other GIS platforms (Geomedia) - but I will leave it up to you visiting
their website, visiting their booth at SHRUG, or attending the workshop
for more information.

An enhancement to ArcGIS 9.3 is support for Adobe 9, which also extends
the functionality of exporting to PDF. With ArcGIS 9.3 and the Map
Export Patch
(http://support.esri.com/index.cfm?fa=downloads.patchesServicePacks.view
Patch&PID=15&MetaID=1407), a map maker may export a map that includes
georeference information and attributes for vector features. Exporting
from ArcGIS doesn't appear to support GPS or some of the more advanced
features of Map2PDF. Also, when exporting with ArcGIS 9.3, coordinates
may only be reported in Lat/Long (and only in decimal degrees or
degrees, minutes, seconds at that).

So - I think it is great that both ESRI and Adobe are making strides
towards providing locational information for the non-traditional GIS
user and allowing GIS users to export maps for wide distribution. Adobe
Reader has for some time supported layers and feature identification
(with the Object Data tool), and now having coordinates available is
surely to increase the usefulness of maps published as PDF's. And for
many map makers, this might be all that they would be interested in as
far as the functionality of "GeoPDF's" is concerned.

While for others, particularly those who are interested in data capture
and editing by non-traditional GIS user's, the Map2PDF tools may be of
interest to you as well.

Hope this helps. And if anybody else has explored these products
further, please chime in.

Thanks,
Richard Butgereit
GIS Administrator

Florida Division of Emergency Management

richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com

Office: 850-413-9907
www.FloridaDisaster.org <http://www.floridadisaster.org/>

Under Florida law, e-mail addresses are public records. If you do not want your e-mail address released in response to a public-records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.