shrug-l: Style Sets

Bret Whiteley bretwhiteley at gmail.com
Fri Apr 24 16:58:20 EDT 2009

 Anybody out there have any experience with Style Sets?  What I want to do,
is automatically load a predefined set of symbols based on the individual
symbol name to a feature class that has been categorized with matching
names.

To explain, I categorised my feature class by land use type and have records
for: Commercial, Residential and Agricultural.  I also have a style set that
contains symbols for each of these categories.  In the layer properties
window, where you would normally set your symbology, I can access
pre-defined symbols for each or the categories listed above.  But I have to
click on each category and pick the symbol I want associated with it.  Is it
possible to have the style set automatically load?  What makes me wonder
about this is if you load a feature class into ArcMAP, and a style set
exists with a name that exactly matches the name of the layer added, the
symboloy will automatically be applied - but can this functionality be
expanded to include categorized data?

I have a feeling that I need to reference .LYR files and actually add the
.LYR as a layer to ArcMAP.  Sure not a problem, I can do that - but I have a
feature class with literally hundreds of unique categories, with matching
pre-defined symbols.  Is there a way to automatically load that?  Also, and
i have not researched this on-line yet, so i could maybe answer my own
question in time -but does a layer file "reference" the data that it was
used to create the .lyr with?  To expand, if you preview a .lyr in
ArcCatalog you see the attribute table and geography associated with that
data, but if you look at it in Windows explorer there is no .SHP or .DBF.
Makes me realise that its just a reference.  But, I throw it out there.
Anybody have an experience with this, or know of good Internet links?

Thanks to everyone for you help.

Bret.