shrug-l: ArcGIS 9.4 running on same machine with older versions.

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Mon Oct 26 10:57:50 EDT 2009

I know many of have attended with the SERUG conference or the UC in
California where ESRI was talking about 9.4. One of the big things that
got me excited was the reported ability to run 9.4 on the same machine
with older versions. This would have allowed testing of the new version
while allowing the fall back to the older version if problems came up.
Well it would appear that this will not be possible with 9.4. ESRI
Developers have apprearently run into some snags trying to get it to
work and have decided to go back to their normal way of doing things
which requires you to uninstall the older version before installing 9.4.

If you do need to have access to multiple versions they suggest using
instances of Virtual Machine. That would allow you to have both versions
available to you. I have not personally used VMs so I don't know what
the plus and minus would be for such a setup.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP
Vice President, GIS/IT
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Keck & Wood, Inc. <http://www.keckwood.com/>