shrug-l: ESRI's new certifications and the GISP

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Wed Dec 15 09:32:04 EST 2010

As many of you are now aware, Esri is launching a new certification
program just after the first of the year for ArcGIS 10. Several folks
have asked me what if any impact will this have on the GISP
certification and renewal process.

I have submitted this question to Shelia Wilson, Executive Director of
the GISCI, and David DiBiase, President of the GISCI, to get the
official answer. However I would say based on my experience as a member
of the application review committee, it will have little if any impact
to the process as a whole. Esri is not the only vendor to offer
certifications. Microsoft, Cisco, Oracle, and Autodesk all have
certification, just to name a few. The GISCI does not currently make
allowances for these certifications to count as points. What can be
counted for education points are the classes related to GIS or the
practice of the GIS profession you may have taken to get the
certification. The same is true for other professional certifications as
such as the AICP, CFM, or CMP.  The GISP doesn't have allow points for
those either. But again the GIS related classes you may have taken could
be used for education points.  This keeps in line with the GISP
certification not being about a specific software platform or a specific
area of practice within GIS.

Again this is just my opinion and is in no way the official word from
the GISCI. Once I get the official answer from the GISCI, I will post
it.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP
Vice President, GIS/IT
ESRI Authorized Instructor
Esri ArcGIS Desktop 10 Certified Associate
CompTIA Certified Technical Trainer
Keck & Wood, Inc. <http://www.keckwood.com/>