shrug-l: RE: Navteq/TeleAtlas data sources

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Tue Mar 2 15:27:40 EST 2010

If you have ever attended one of the major GIS meetings, you would see a TeleAtlas van equipped with about 6 TV cameras and GPS antennas that they drive around to acquire a lot of their street-level data.  It is, essentially, a good, old-fashioned windshield survey.  If you ever notice, all their addresses plot to a street in front of the address, not the building itself.  I think someone sits in back of the van and punches a "waypoint" button while they record the street address from mailboxes and posted address signs.  We use to do the same thing with a laptop and a GPS.  You would hit the waypoint store button on the GPS and enter an address to the corresponding number in a spreadsheet or database.  Additional data like business names, etc. can come from online directories, etc.

-- John