shrug-l: NACIS2010 - St. Petersburg

Cross, Louis LCross at admin.fsu.edu
Wed Sep 15 17:27:16 EDT 2010

Hello! just letting the SHRUG community know that the Annual Meeting of
the North American Cartographic Information Society (NACIS) is coming up
next month (October 13-15) in St. Petersburg, FL. This is a fantastic
cartography, GIS and visualization conference. Come to learn and share,
about all things map -- we're a very social bunch!

There are only 15 days remaining to sign up at early registration rates.
You can register online here: http://www.nacis.org/index.cfm?x=2

Take a look at the lineup, we have a great Conference Program for you:
www.nacis.org/2010/Program

Pre-conference Practical Programs

Practical Cartography Day (PCD), is the premiere practical cartography
event organized this year by Neil Allen (Allan Cartography) and Sam
Pepple (National Geographic Society). Join the industry's most respected
professionals in this full-day program Wednesday, October 13, featuring
useful tips, tricks and techniques for map production. Additional
registration required, Lunch included.

Practical Map Librarian Day (PMLD), organized by Terri Robar (University
of Miami) includes interactive discussions about current issues facing
the profession, and a field trip to the Tampa Bay History Center on
Wednesday, October 13th. The program continues on Thursday, October 14th
with a a half-day of paper presentations on related topics. Additional
registration is required.

Saturday activities (there are a few openings, in the following)...

Swim with the Manatees, led by local arrangements host Chris Anderson
(Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission):
We will be traveling to Crystal River where we suit up in a wet suit and
learn about the manatee in Florida. Afterward, we head out to the
springs on a chartered "dive boat". We don a mask and a snorkel and
enjoy a nice swim while watching these animals. The swim lasts 2-3
hours, then we head back to the dock. After "de-suiting" we'll head next
door for lunch.

Tour Historic Ybor City, from your tour guides Lou Cross (Florida State
University) and Tanya Buckingham (University of Wisconsin-Madison
Cartography Lab):
The day will begin with a trip to the famers' market, picking up a
guided walking tour of the historic district, and we should have time to
explore Florida's Latin Quarter on your own.

ESRI will be hosting a Community Basemap Workshop, and there are still a
few remaining spots.

Hope to see you in St. Pete!

Lou

_____________________________
Louis (Lou) Cross III
cartography | graphic design | GIS | web development

FREAC
Florida Resources and Environmental Analysis Center

Room C2200 UCC
296 Champions Way
P.O. Box 3062641
Florida State University