shrug-l: RE: ArcGIS Alternative

PORTER.DANIEL PORTER.DANIEL at flsenate.gov
Tue Apr 5 11:15:36 EDT 2011

PostgreSQL has a free, opensource, geospatial extension called PostGIS (http://postgis.refractions.net/) that defines geometric data types and allows you to perform geometric operations on them.

I haven't worked with ArcSDE, so I don't know what features PostGIS matches (and if anyone wanted to give a rundown, I'd be interested to learn), but I've seen PostGIS used to good effect both at FREAC on the iMapInvasives project (http://imapinvasives.org/nyimi/map/), and here at the Senate for our reapportionment application.  iMapInvasives uses OpenLayers (http://openlayers.org/) for their mapping front end.  It is FOSS.

District Builder, the Senate's reapportionment application, is being built on an entirely open source tech stack (save Server 2008).  PostGIS/MapServer/Apache/PHP.

Daniel Porter
GIS Developer
Senate Committee on Reapportionment