shrug-l: ArcGIS 10.1 - What's coming

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Wed Jul 13 09:53:32 EDT 2011

Yesterday in the Esri Plenary Session Jack Dangermond, President and
Founder of Esri, gave us some a sneak peak of some of the goodies we can
expect with the ArcGIS 10.1 release scheduled for the first quarter of
last year. For those like me not able to attend the UC or not able to
view the record sessions, I thought I might share some of what I thought
were highlights.

ArcGIS Desktop will be even more integrated with ArcGIS Server and
ArcGIS Online. Publishing Maps will be as easy as right clicking and
choosing to share. This will make it much easier to share data with
others. Not only will you be able to share maps in 10.1 but you will
also be able to share geoprocessing models as well using this same
method creating model packages.

ArcGIS Desktop will have some other improvements. 10.1 will include
Dynamic Legends. This means they will automatically resize based on the
scale and size of the map. You will be able to track who edited which
features using Feature Edit Tracking.

LiDAR data will now be supported. ArcGIS will support the use of LAS
files. You will be able to use these as raster, tin or point cloud data.
This will hopefully make LiDAR even more useful in GIS. This support was
built on the new Dynamic Mosaicing functionality that will be introduced
with ArcGIS 10.1. This new functionality according to Jack will allow
users to easily and quickly access large amounts of raster data. Support
has also been added for additional LandSat Imagery.

ArcGIS Server will be 64 Bit and have increased support for Linux. This
will mean more power and faster performance.  ArcGIS Server will also
have several improvements in the web application side. It will now
support web printing. Support for OGC tile and processing standards have
also been included. It also looks like on the fly symbology will be part
of the package for web apps. Integration with Microsoft SharePoint has
also been increased. SharePoint users will be able to create GIS maps
directly inside of SharePoint via the improved integration.

Well those were some of the highlights. There is more including improved
3D analysis, editing and visualization, new light weight runtime app
similar to the old MapObjects, new enterprise database management tools,
and support for IBM's new Netezza.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP | Vice President, GIS/IT
KECK & WOOD, INC. <http://www.keckwood.com/>

2750 Premiere Parkway, Suite 900, Duluth, GA 30097
Direct (678) 417-4013 | Main (678) 417-4000 | Fax (678) 417-4055

tcorbin at keckwood.com <mailto:tcorbin at keckwood.com>  | www.keckwood.com

Esri Certified Trainer | Esri Certified Desktop Associate