shrug-l: Esri to rename products with ArcGIS 10.1

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at keckwood.com
Thu Jun 16 08:07:28 EDT 2011

I know many folks are still running ArcGIS 9.3 and only beginning to
think about moving to 10. Esri is not resting though. It is already
planning for the release of 10.1 which will be released early next year
and is a focus of the Esri UC being held next month.

ArcGIS 10.1 will not only include changes and enhancements to
functionality but also changes to the names of the software. Gone will
be the familiar titles of ArcView, ArcEditor, ArcInfo, and ArcGIS
Server. They will be replaced with a new standardized naming structure
which Esri claims will reinforce the integrated nature of the entire
ArcGIS platform. So what will the new names be?  See the chart below.

Name Prior to ArcGIS 10.1

New Name

ArcGIS Desktop

ArcGIS for Desktop

ArcInfo

ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced

ArcEditor

ArcGIS for Desktop Standard

ArcView

ArcGIS for Desktop Basic

ArcGIS Server

ArcGIS for Server

ArcGIS Mobile

ArcGIS for Windows Mobile

ArcGIS Mobile SDK

ArcGIS SDK for Windows Mobile

Esri Data and Maps

Data and Maps for ArcGIS

Esri StreetMap Premium

StreetMap Premium for ArcGIS

ArcGIS Data Appliance

Data Appliance for ArcGIS

ArcGIS Mapping for SharePoint

ArcGIS for SharePoint

ArcGIS will now be the key word in every title. The individual
applications will then be for something i.e. Desktop, Server, Sharepoint
and so on. Esri is hoping this will emphasize the oneness of the ArcGIS
platform.

Personally, I think it will be more confusing and is a bad move. ArcView
is a great title. It's name tells you exactly what it is designed to do.
The same is true for ArcEditor. These titles are self explanatory. Try
explaining ArcGIS for Desktop followed by Basic, Standard or Advanced to
a new user. It will get confusing quickly. We already have this problem
with server.

Let's not forget the name recognition of ArcInfo. It has been the
flagship of Esri since the beginning. Everyone in GIS knows this
product. It has a long and proud history way through that all away.
ArcGIS for Desktop Advanced just doesn't have the same ring.

Ok to be fair, the new names do help to show that everything in the
ArcGIS suite is connected be it desktop, server, or mobile. They also
bring everything under the same convention Esri uses for server and it's
various editions and levels. So I guess that might help get everyone on
the same page. Maybe it is not all such a bad thing.

I do admit I don't like a lot of change. ArcGIS 10 was a big change.
Editing workflow was completely changed. (for the better I felt) The
interface was updated and many new windows and toolbars added. Then
there were all the changes to the Business Partner Program and the
transition to the new Certified Trainer Program. I guess I was just
hoping ArcGIS 10.1 would more of a tweak and update than a continuation
of Big Change. As the saying goes the one constant is change. Guess I
will need to get better at dealing with it.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, CFM, GISP | Vice President, GIS/IT
KECK & WOOD, INC. <http://www.keckwood.com/>

2750 Premiere Parkway, Suite 900, Duluth, GA 30097
Direct (678) 417-4013 | Main (678) 417-4000 | Fax (678) 417-4055

Esri Certified Trainer | Esri Certified Desktop Associate