shrug-l: GPS - Accuracy Considerations

Jim Robeson jim at gpserv.com
Wed Jun 22 21:26:40 EDT 2011

Now the lies and finger pointing is starting.  The FCC did not follow standard process in conducting any evaluation and Light Square wanted that way.  They now have a large investment on a product that will not work without interference.  Their new plan will seriously impact precision AG users as well as the survey industry; basically all carrier users.

Finger pointing:

A claim frequently made by LightSquared spokesperson Jeff Carlisle, and recently by FCC chairman Julius Genachowski, that the GPS industry knew long ago about LightSquared's plan for powerful terrestrial transmitters, would be a telling point — if it were true. But it is not. The verifiable fact is that the GPS industry knew about and agreed to a plan by a previous version of the company, for a different purpose, with a different business concept, and employing a completely different technological approach, one that would not have harmed GPS transmissions and disabled GPS users the way the current plan does. Calling the 2010 LightSquared plan the same as the 2003 Motient plan is running a wolf in sheep's clothing.

Regards,
Jim Robeson

James M. Robeson
Mapping/GIS Sales, Trimble Certified Trainer

                    Geo 6000 check me out!

Tallahassee Office
Phone (850) 656-6075
Cell (850) 212-0030