shrug-l: ArcGIS Server -- building cache breaks serving as KML

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit at em.myflorida.com
Tue Apr 24 13:54:56 EDT 2012

We have been effectively serving KML Network Links with ArcGIS Server - through the ArcGIS Server Manager, under Services, choose KML Network Links, click Create Network Link and you can create a KML Network Link that will run live with your service (there's some recommended settings that you should use with the service - let me know if anybody wants those).

BUT - what I have found today is that for services for which I have built cache - the KML Network Links no longer work with Google Earth...they just spin and never ever draws.

So - I cannot build cache for the service, and it is usable both as  a REST service and a KML Network Link (but will be slower through REST).

Or - build the cache and then it will only usable through REST.

Or create 2 services - a cached service for use with REST and our Flex Viewer, and another uncached service solely to serve KML Network Links.

Has anybody out there ever dealt with trying to building cache and effectively serve KML Network Links?

Thanks,
Richard Butgereit, GISP
GIS Administrator
Florida Division of Emergency Management
richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com<blocked::mailto:richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com>
Office: 850-413-9907
www.FloridaDisaster.org<blocked::http://www.floridadisaster.org/>