shrug-l: AutoCAD Civil 2013 quirk

Porter, William B. william.porter at famu.edu
Wed Nov 28 11:36:27 EST 2012

I found a problem in AutoCAD Civil 2013 with the Hyperlink command that
my vendor/tech support could not solve.  This version replaced Map 3D
but has the same functions allegedly.

The first time I type the command "Hyperlink" AutoCAD  locks up for
hours - literally.   If I am running more than one instance, they all
lock up.  I crashed out a couple of times and could not make the
hyperlinks.

One day I went to lunch and worked on other stuff - then came back to
the CAD project and found it had finally come out of its dazed state. I
could use Hyperlink normally for that session.

Every time I start an instance of CAD the same thing happens.

The best CAD support could tell me was to minimize network mapped
drives.  That was not my problem.

Later it occurred to me:   I have a USB card reader [for SD and Compact
Flash chips] with six apparent drives [MyComputer insists they exist,
even when no cards are installed.  It's possible to hide them, but that
has no effect on this problem].   This version of AutoCAD insists on
checking every placeholder for the chips - and apparently has a 45
minute timeout for each 'drive.'

So - if you use AutoCAD 2013 and need to use the Hyperlink command,
disconnect chip readers.  This is a little tougher if it's built into
your PC.

Don't have inactive mapped drives and I suppose that an empty diskette
drive [if they still exist] or a damaged CD/DVD could cost time as well
[it does not have a problem with an empty CD/DVD drive].

It was an infuriating problem and I am surprised that it is not
documented by AutoDesk.

William  B. Porter     william.porter at famu.edu     850 412 5972

Application Coordinator for GIS / Infrastructure

Florida A&M University

EIT / GIS

Perry-Paige, West Wing Ground floor,

Office 1 -C