shrug-l: Surprises in ArcGIS upgrade from 10.0 to 10.1 ...
Tan, Yurong (OIG)
Yurong.tan at va.gov
Mon Oct 22 13:50:28 EDT 2012
I just want to share this experience so that those who are planning to make this upgrade move will spare a little more time to plan.
It appears that the upgrade from version 10.0 to 10.1 is quite a challenge, especially when there are apps, map services, and SDE database involved. I found out this by a mistake in following an ESRI suggestion to upgrade the ArcGIS server to 10.1 and that server upgrade opens a huge can of worms ---
(1) all the map services are dead/gone,
(2) the apps are dead (no easy migration tools),
(3) have to upgrade my desktop to 10.1 in order for the desktop to connect to ArcGIS server and recreate the services.
(4) desktop upgrade requires license manager upgrade which will pull another string to rattle ...
(5) new web services requires the entire SDE database (not feather datasets) to be registered and ... or no services will be published.
For so many years, ESRI can seem to be able to make things right in the first place.
US Dept of Veterans Affairs (OIG)
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the SHRUG-L