shrug-l: ArcGIS and ArcServer 8.2

Porter, William B. william.porter at famu.edu
Thu Feb 20 09:04:59 EST 2014

Have those who loaded ArcGIS 8.2  and especially ArcGIS Server 8.2 run into any problems?
The workings of ArcServer changed dramatically between 8.0 and 8.1.   I hope the same is not true for the hop from 8.1 to 8.2.
I read that ArcGIS Server 8.2 allows 3D export from ArcScene into a Flex application to be served to the web.  I don't know if the change is in ArcGIS, ArcGIS Server or both.

This isn't completely non sequitur:  For reasons unclear,  in ArcScene,  the TIN or DEM bleed through digital aerial photography draped on it.   I could eliminate it by elevating the photos 3 ft above the surface,  but that was clumsy.
An ESRI tech's solution was to turn off the 3D surface after underlying the photos.  It worked, but it was a kludge worked out iteratively.  First she told me I was wrong for using a TIN for elevation,  then she directed me to raise the priority of aerial features under rendering, then she told me to take out the DEM and use the TIN.  On a call back she recommended turning off the DEM or TIN.
I am still puzzled that the drape doesn't work perfectly, especially on the tiny elevation changes on the FAMU campus.

William  B. Porter     william.porter at famu.edu<mailto:william.porter at famu.edu>     850 412 5972
Application Coordinator for GIS / Infrastructure
Florida A&M University
EIT / GIS
Perry-Paige, West Wing Ground floor,
Office 1 -C