shrug-l: generalize or resample points

Abbey, Edwin Edwin.Abbey at dep.state.fl.us
Mon Apr 13 08:23:37 EDT 2015

In the "Generalization" toolset, there are two options that might work for you.  "Simplify Line" and "Smooth Line" each behave similarly, though I imagine "Simplify Line" is what you are looking for.

For "Simplify Line", there are two algorithm options used to simplify:
Simplification Algorithm
Specifies the line simplification algorithm.

POINT_REMOVE-Keeps the so-called critical points that depict the essential shape of a line and removes all other points. This is the default.
BEND_SIMPLIFY-Keeps the main shape of a line and removes extraneous bends.

Then for each algorithm there is a tolerance input for each:
Simplification Tolerance
The tolerance that determines the degree of simplification. A tolerance must be specified, and it must be greater than zero. You can choose a preferred unit; the default is the feature unit.

For POINT_REMOVE algorithm, the tolerance you specify is the maximum allowable offset of each vertex from its original location. This value may be reduced locally in some areas when the option is used to resolve topological errors.

For BEND_SIMPLIFY algorithm, the tolerance you specify is the length of the reference bend baseline.

Edwin A. Abbey
NHD Steward - Environmental Manager
Florida Dept. of Environmental Protectoin
Office of Watershed Services
phone:  850-245-8550

Edwin.Abbey at dep.state.fl.us<mailto:Edwin.Abbey at dep.state.fl.us>

www.dep.state.fl.us/water/watersheds/nhd.htm<http://www.dep.state.fl.us/water/watersheds/nhd.htm>