shrug-l: Joins and Relates

Sykes, John John.Sykes at dep.state.fl.us
Tue Jul 7 14:01:46 EDT 2015

OK, I am misunderstanding something.

I have a map layer of the Public Land Survey System (PLSS) with the Township, Range and Section (TRS) for the whole state.

I have an Excel table with company names and their associated Township, Range and Section (TRS).

I want to join the company table to the PLSS layer, so that each section that a company (or multiple companies) is/are located in is highlighted.

Two problems keep coming up.

1)      The join seems to find the first company that matches the PLSS TRS then ignores any other companies in the same TRS.
2)      One of the companies keeps coming up twice in the resulting join with the same TRS (don't know if it is significant, but it is the last company in the Excel list).  I checked and it is only in the Excel table once.

So I start with 43 companies, and end up with 39, including the duplicate, in the joined table.

So the question is, how to do a join with a one (target table) to many (join list) relationship????

 -- John