shrug-l: CAMEO to GIS tools

Butgereit, Richard Richard.Butgereit at em.myflorida.com
Thu May 21 14:39:04 EDT 2015

CAMEO (http://www2.epa.gov/cameo) is a system of software applications used to plan for and respond to chemical emergencies. Developed by EPA and NOAA to assist front-line chemical emergency planers and responders, CAMEO can access, store, and evaluate information critical for developing emergency plans.

CAMEO is a stand-alone application, with a stand-alone database. Users may import and export zipped files containing information for hazardous material facilities, but there are limitations on how effectively this can be achieved, as when importing a new file, all of the users current information is deleted, and replaced by the information contained in the new file.

In addition to the hazardous material facility location, chemical inventory, and other information, CAMEO is used to aggregate documents, contacts, and other information for a hazardous materials facility.

I realized several months ago how we needed a tool to export the CAMEO exported zip files to GIS. I asked ESRI for assistance, and today am pleased to share the following --

http://solutions.arcgis.com/emergency-management/help/cameo-tools

CAMEO Tools is a configuration of ArcGIS that imports into a File Geodatabase data that have been exported from a Computer-Aided Management of Emergency Operations (CAMEO) system.

Developed by the United States Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), the CAMEO software suite<http://links.esri.com/CameoTools/EPAcameo> is used to prepare for and respond to chemical emergencies. By importing the outputs of a CAMEO system into a File Geodatabase, the outputs can then be used in further analyses using GIS.
Thanks,
Richard Butgereit, GISP
Information Management
Florida Division of Emergency Management
richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com<blocked::mailto:richard.butgereit at em.myflorida.com>
850-413-9907
www.FloridaDisaster.org<blocked::http://www.floridadisaster.org/>