shrug-l: Numbering Hydrants

Rick Labs rick at clbcm.com
Tue May 17 14:56:12 EDT 2016

Scott, Seth, others who may be interested,

I worked up a demo spreadsheet that shows how you can label anything
with a simple *12 character code* (for instance hydrants, or even
mail/packages) and have that code encapsulate 6 decimal accuracy geo
coding (about 1 meter accuracy).  The code is designed to be compact and
easy to speak. Case is not important and the letters O, I, L, and Z are
not used because of frequent confusion with numbers (0,1,2).

The spreadsheet both encodes and decodes. Unambiguous, universal format
works worldwide down to a meter.

You can get the file named *encodelatlon.xls* from this directory:
http://clbcm.com/shrug/

There are no macros (or VBA code) in the spreadsheet but you will likely
have to "allow editing" if you want to play around with it.

Rick

--
Richard J. Labs, CFA, CPA
CL&B Capital Management, LLC
E-mail (preferred for efficiency): rick at clbcm.com
Mailing address: 8 Laureldale Dr., Pittsford, NY 14534-3508