shrug-l: ArcGIS for Server and avoiding arcgis online.

Porter, Bill bporter at spartanburgcounty.org
Mon Nov 28 09:56:33 EST 2016

I've called ESRI and can't get a response promptly. So, has anyone else had experience with ArcGIS for Server and it's link to ArcOnline?
We went through an experiment with ArcGIS 10.4  for Server with Portal and Webadaptors.  It was clumsy and slow, but I was OK with it.  My Director was not.
Then we learned that ArcGIS for server 10.4 demanded a newer version of SQL than we use,  so now we are back to ArcGIS for Server 10.3, no portal, no web adaptors.  The maps are rendered for display capably by Freeance.  It's faster than either ArcGIS Portal or ArcGIS online, but not as pretty.  Queries are easier to set up.

Arc Online demands a login if I serve a map to my server and change permissions. I believe it shows up on ARC Online even if I don't alter permissions, but I need to test that.  Now I'm concerned that divorcing ourselves from ArcOnline completely will mean I lose the map services on my server that should not be seen by ArcOnline.

Sometimes I get a great ESRI tech for ArcGIS Server, sometimes less great and sometimes a call back takes days.

Bill Porter
Spartanburg County