shrug-l: ArcGIS Pro 2.0 Coming soon

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Wed Jun 21 11:46:42 EDT 2017

Esri is set to release version 2.0 of ArcGIS Pro at the end of this month.
For those that might not know, ArcGIS Pro is Esri's newest desktop GIS
application which will ultimately be replacing ArcMap, ArcCatalog, ArcScene
and ArcGlobe.  ArcGIS Pro is built on a 64 bit architecture which allows it
to make use of all the hardware you can throw at it and has a completely new
modern ribbon interface.

When will this replacement happen? That is a good question. Sadly, I don't
have an exact answer. It seems to depend on who you talk to at Esri. I have
heard anything from 2 to 7 years. You can see the transition is already
starting by going to Esri's product page on their website. You will see that
it lists ArcGIS Pro as their lead desktop platform. You have to dig a bit to
find any mention of ArcMap or ArcCatalog.

What I do know is that Esri is putting almost all their desktop development
efforts into ArcGIS Pro. So, don't expect any new functionality of any
significance to be added to the traditional ArcGIS Desktop platform.

What's coming in ArcGIS Pro 2.0

What can you expect to see in this new version of ArcGIS Pro? Esri continues
to push toward parity with ArcMap. The current version, 1.4, went a long way
in this regard. It added a lot of functionality so that if you primarily use
ArcMap to create maps, perform simple GIS analysis or edit data using basic
tools or even topologies, you may be able to switch to ArcGIS Pro now.

ArcGIS Pro 2.0 will continue this tread of adding even more functionality.
Here are some capabilities and changes which will be included in ArcGIS Pro
2.0

1.	Support for Annotation
2.	Allows multiple Instances of ArcGIS Pro to be running at the same
time on the same computer
3.	The Project Pane will be renamed to the Catalog Pane
4.	Will remember folder and database connections between projects
5.	Adds grids for layouts
6.	Charts will be supported in Layouts. These will be dynamic charts
that update as your data changes

These are some pretty big improvements.

What might be coming in ArcGIS Pro 2.1

Of course, Esri is already planning for the next version. So, what might be
included in the version that follows 2.0? Here are a few things we believe
will be included:

1.	Construct Polygon tool from ArcMap Advanced Editing Toolbar
2.	Copy Parallel Editing tool
3.	Geometric Network which will be renamed Utility Network
4.	Reports
5.	Support for Representations
6.	Spatial Adjustments

For more information about what you might see in ArcGIS Pro 2.0 or later
versions click on the links below:

*	ArcGIS Pro 2.0 Beta Coming Soon
<https://blogs.esri.com/esri/arcgis/2017/04/27/arcgis-pro-2-0-beta-coming-so
on/>
*	ArcGIS Pro Roadmap
<https://geonet.esri.com/community/gis/applications/arcgis-pro/blog/2017/03/
05/arcgis-pro-roadmap>

Here are some links to a couple free recorded webinars I have done on ArcGIS
Pro which you might also find useful:

*	Introducing ArcGIS Pro <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFtjk39J9zk>

*	Managing Projects with ArcGIS Pro
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFtjk39J9zk>
*	Creating 3D Maps with ArcGIS Pro
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JFtjk39J9zk>

If you have not already been looking at ArcGIS Pro and evaluating it, now is
the time. As we mentioned, it will be replacing ArcMap and ArcCatalog. It is
time to start planning your migration since it is not a matter if but when
you will need to do so.

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System
Design Associate

Order my book
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>
Learning ArcGIS Pro now!