shrug-l: Microgrants for community mapping

Rebecca Firth rebecca.firth at hotosm.org
Fri Dec 14 22:39:18 EST 2018

Hi,

I had the pleasure of speaking with you at last year's SHRUG conference,
and getting in touch this year to share Humanitarian OpenStreetMap Team's
continued community mapping. We are working to improve diversity in mapping
through providing Microgrants to communities wanting to grow/scale local
mapping in lower and middle income countries, but who lack resources to do
this. Diversity is multi-faceted, and we're pleased to have been able to
grow local contributions in lower- and middle- income countries, and
maintain a relatively even gender balance, with over 6,000 new mappers
trained by microgrants so far.

This December, we're running a fundraising campaign, aiming to raise
$40,000 to support 10 new Micrograntees in 2019. If you'd like to know more
about previous Microgrants, please check out these videos from Tanzania
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AW3v18ZJYDg&t=8s>and Mozambique
<https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sS7C_9D7EjQ&t=2s>, and if you'd like to
make a contribution, you can do this at donate.hotosm.org.

100% of donations will be used to support more communities to continue
their efforts to make sure no individual or community is left behind by
fulfilling their basic mapping needs such as access to the internet and
training sessions. We have a corporate partner who's promised to provide a
$5000 match if we reach 100 donors (we're currently at 71), so
contributions of any size will help us to hit this target!

Thanks a lot, and happy holidays!

Rebecca

--
*Rebecca Firth*