shrug-l: QGIS 3.4 released

Rick Labs rick at clbcm.com
Thu Nov 1 12:06:21 EDT 2018

Randal, All,

Thanks for the heads up on QGIS 3.4. I downloaded it a few days ago.
Installed with zero bumps, zero configuration, and it runs great. The
version I was using was 2.18 LTR (Las Palmas), so this is a /major
/upgrade. (And I thought Las Palmas was terrific!)

Version 3.0 (staring 2018) brings Qt5 and *Python 3.* Then there were
minor releases after that bringing it to 3.4 LTR. Very impressive new
features and functionality, and awesome cartography!  (See
https://gisgeography.com/qgis-3/.) Can't beat the price: *free*.

I'm a sporadic user of GIS for analytical projects vs. a day-in-day-out
mapper. The UI on QGIS remains quite smooth and consistent through
version changes. You can be away from it for a few months, come back
/and it still feels familiar./ The developer group really focused on
/usability/, and it shows.

***

Generally I find grinding relational table data is best done early, and
with other tools, outside of a GIS. I sequence in the geo components and
geo processing later, well after the relational and other data has been
thoroughly transformed. QGIS works great for me.

For people doing one-off analytics out there, involving mashups from
various and sundry data sources, what software do you prefer to
"/mechanize/" your*Extract/Transform/Load* (*ETL*) functions?

    *Excel *(Data Connections, PowerQuery, PowerPivot, Data Model, DAX
    functions, M language, "Get & Transform", "PowerBI", etc. )

    *Talend Open Studio *(free/open source, 900 connections/transforms
    supplied in a library you string together)*
    *https://sourceforge.net/projects/talend-studio/
    https://community.talend.com/

    *Just use a SQL database* with connectors and one-off hand code for
    the rest
         using scripting (Python, VBA, Javascript)
         using traditional languages (C++, Java)
         using some functional language (OCaml, F, Haskel...)

Any opinion on any of those, or any other packages you use for ETL, most
appreciated!

Thanks.

Rick

--