shrug-l: ArcGIS Online changes coming in December

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Wed Nov 14 08:47:46 EST 2018

Esri has announced it will be releasing an update to ArcGIS Online (AGOL) on
December 4, 2018. This will include new functionality, workflow changes,
updates to the interface and the biggest change, addition of several new
user types. I thought I would share the new user type changes with everyone
if you have not heard about them.

Currently AGOL supports two user types, Level 1 (Viewer) and Level 2
(Contributor). After the update, there will be 5 user types, Viewer, Editor,
Field Worker, Creator, and GIS Professional. So, what are the capabilities
of these new user types?

Viewer

*	Same as previous Level 1 user
*	View Organizations Maps and Apps
*	Use ArcGIS Essential Apps

*	Story Maps
*	Custom apps created with Web AppBuilder or App Templates
*	Operations Dashboards
*	AGOL Map Viewer
*	AGOL Scene Viewer

Editor

*	Same as Viewer above
*	Edit data via web apps

Field Worker

*	Same as Viewer and Editor
*	Use of Field Apps bundle

*	Collector
*	Survey123
*	Workforce for ArcGIS

Creator

*	Same as previous Level 2 user
*	Same as All of the above
*	Use of Office Apps Bundle

*	ArcGIS Maps for Office
*	ArcGIS Maps for SharePoint

*	Create maps and apps in AGOL
*	Administer AGOL Subscription

GIS Professional

*	Same as all of the above
*	Use of ArcGIS Pro

Esri is making the change to the user types in response to request from
users. Under the current system, if you want someone to go out in the field
and perform inspections using Collector or Survey123, they must be a level 2
user which costs $500 per user and provides a lot more capability than an
inspector needs.

Under the upcoming update, the inspector can be a Field Worker user. This
provides them with the abilities they need and no more. This in turn
increases security of the over system and reduces the chance of data be
inadvertently changed.  While we have not seen the pricing for the new user
levels, we assume that a Field Worker user would cost less than a Creator
but a bit more than a Viewer. The result should be a reduction in cost for
new users because you do not need to buy a higher user level for your team
to do what they need to.

For more information about these upcoming changes to AGOL check out the
following resources:

1.	What's Coming: Introducing User Types
<https://community.esri.com/community/gis/web-gis/arcgisonline/blog/2018/11/
06/whats-coming-introducing-user-types>
2.	What's Coming in ArcGIS Online: Introducing User Types
<https://www.esri.com/arcgis-blog/products/arcgis-online/announcements/whats
-coming-in-arcgis-online-introducing-user-types/>
3.	Coming Soon: User Types
<https://www.esri.com/en-us/arcgis/products/arcgis-online/pricing/arcgis-onl
ine-subscriptions#usertypes>

We hope you have found this information useful. We will keep you posted as
we learn more.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP | Chief Executive Officer

 <mailto:tcorbin at egisassociates.com> tcorbin at egisassociates.com |
www.egisassociates.com

678-710-9710 ext 0021 | 678-672-8970 Direct Dial

Esri Certified Desktop Professional | Esri Certified Enterprise System
Design Associate

Order my new
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/arcgis-pro-2x-cookbook>
ArcGIS Pro Cookbook now & don't forget about
<https://www.packtpub.com/application-development/learning-arcgis-pro>
Learning ArcGIS Pro

<https://https/www.packtpub.com/application-development/arcgis-pro-2x-cookbo
ok>