shrug-l: FOSS GIS Meetup Group

Seth Bassett Seth.Bassett at citizensfla.com
Thu Jan 30 11:28:05 EST 2020

Hey SHRUG,

Hope everyone had a happy holiday season and is getting back into the swing of things.

Last year a few of us started a monthly meetup group for FOSS GIS. We're still going strong, with around 25 our on email list and about 15 making to our regular meetings. Our first beer social is next Wednesday, February 5, from 6-8pm at Growler Country - please join us!

This year we are changing the format of how our monthly meeting work in order to make meetups a bit more social and a bit less technical. We are also hoping to expand the group a bit more now that we have a year's worth of experience under our belt.
Our full schedule for the year is at the end of this email below my signature, but the essence of what we will be doing for the year is easy: we'll be meeting on the first Wednesday evening of every month from 6-8 pm for adult beveragese and grub somewhere in Tallahassee.

Every third month, a volunteer from the group will lead a technical tutorial and teach the rest of us how to use FOSS GIS software. Last year technical talks covered a very wide variety of topics - desktop virtualization in Oracle's VirtualBox, Linux VM and systems administration on digital ocean, using spatial SQL in PostGIS, "GIS 101" labs for using QGIS for site suitability analysis, and sourcing geospatial census and economic datasets, among others.  The wide range of topics and the depth of knowledge that the group members brought to each tutorial was absolutely amazing!

If you'd like to be added to our email list to get reminders about upcoming meetups, please email me directly and I will add you to the list. Alternately, if you have an interest in Free and Open Source GIS, or if you just want to come have a few beers and network with other savvy GIS professionals, please come join us next Wednesday at Growler Country from 6-8 PM.

Cheers,
Seth Bassett, GISP
Geospatial Data Analyst, Corporate Analytics
Citizen Property Insurance Corporation
850-521-8373

Tallahassee FOSS GIS 2020 Meetup Schedule

  *   February 5: Beer social @ Growler Country, 6-8 pm.
  *   March 4: Technical Session. Philip Griffith. Using FOSS for Geostatistical Analyses. Seats limited to 20.
  *   April 1: Beer Social. Location TBD
  *   May 6: Beer social. Location TBD
  *   June 3: Technical Session. Presenter TBD. Seats limited to 20.
  *   July 1: Beer social. Location TBD
  *   August 5: Beer social. Location TBD
  *   August 24-29: FOSS4G in Calgary, Alberta, Canada.
  *   September 2: Technical session. Presenter TBD. Seats limited to 20.
  *   October 7: Beer Social. Location TBD
  *   November 4: Beer Social. Location TBD
  *   December 2: End of Year Wrap Up - review and future directions.

(Note: Seats for technical talks are limited to 20 people. We are getting an online RSVP system set up to manage reservations on a first-come-first-serve basis - more details will be sent out after our February meetup. For now if you are interested in reserving a seat for the March technical talk, please email me directly).