shrug-l: ArcGIS Pro 2.6 - Many great improvements

Tripp Corbin tcorbin at egisassociates.com
Tue Jul 14 10:43:52 EDT 2020

Hello everyone,
I know many of us are attending the Esri UC virtually this week. But in
case you missed it, ArcGIS Pro 2.6 is scheduled for release soon after the
UC is completed. This new version of ArcGIS Pro is filled with many
improvements that a lot of us have been asking for.

So in my typical what's new posts, I will list a few that I think will be
of big interest to the majority of users.

   1. Graphics and Graphic text can now be added to Maps and Scenes. This
   has been a long time in coming and will make creating exhibits and such
   much easier in Pro.
   2. You can now disable and enable editing similar to starting and
   stopping editing in ArcMap. Up until this new release, editing was always
   enabled in ArcGIS Pro. There was no requirement to start and stop editing.
   This could be dangerous and lead to unintended edits to your data.
   3. Project recovery has been added. This allows ArcGIS Pro to recover
   previous versions of projects if your session of ArcGIS Pro stops
   unexpectedly similar to Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
   4. Several commonly used tools such as Select by Attribute, Select by
   Location, and Calculate Field tools now run in their own floating window
   instead of being limited to the Geoprocessing pane. This increased their
   responsiveness and allows them to run while you are running other
   geoprocessing tools.  I do have a concern that this will require even more
   computer resources to work successfully. So if your computer is at the
   lower end of the hardware spectrum, you might not find this improvement
   much of one.
   5. Map Series can now use the bookmarks in a map to generate a
   series/map book in addition to using a standard index layer.
   6. A new data source editor has been added. This allows you to quickly
   and easily reassign data sources for layers, tables, or web services used
   throughout the open project. This makes managing sources across an entire
   project with many maps, scenes, layouts, and connections much easier and
   efficient.
   7. A new Trace Network has been introduced. It allows you to perform
   network traces to verify connectivity and more similar to the old geometric
   network. The new Trace Network does not have anywhere near the capability
   of the Utility Network but should be much easier to implement especially if
   you are already using the geometric network.
   8. Much greater integration with BIM and AutoCAD Civil3D has been added.
   This new version will allow you to connect to Autodesk BIM 360 and displace
   data directly from it or even download data to a local source. ArcGIS Pro
   2.6 will also allow you to displace native Civil3D objects directly in a
   map or scene.
   9. Support for new Voxel layers. This allows you to display data in a 3D
   scene as volume metric visualizations.
   10. You can create pyramids for LiDAR LAS files to improve performance.
   11. Report Builder in ArcGIS Pro now supports the inclusion of Charts
   and Graphs along with increased graphics support.
   12. Charts in ArcGIS Pro now have improved data selection capability as
   well as improved visualization controls.

These are just some of the major improvements coming in ArcGIS Pro 2.6 that
I think most users will get the most benefit from. But this is just a
fraction of the new capabilities of this new release which is scheduled to
come out sometime this month.

For a more thorough listing of the new capabilities that are coming in
ArcGIS Pro 2.6 check out this video -
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zf8kJLxJJRU.

While I am very excited about this new upcoming release, I have not
personally been able to test it yet. So as with any new release or update,
I encourage you to test it before you put it into your primary production
workflows. I am working to get a copy for testing myself and so I can
update my soon to be released new ArcGIS Pro book to this new version.

Tripp Corbin, MCP, GISP
Implementation Manager
eGIS Associates (a part of the Davey Resource Group)
tcorbin at egisassociates.com or tripp.corbin at davey.com
eGIS Office:678-710-9710
Davey Resource Group Office: 770-619-5545 Ext 6722
www.egisassociates.com

[image: ESRI - In partnership with Alpine Testing Solutions]

[image: ArcGIS Desktop Associate 10]
<https://www.certmetrics.com/esri/public/badge.aspx?t=c&d=2010-09-23&i=1&ci=ESRI00102079>

[image: Enterprise System Design Associate 10.2]
<https://www.certmetrics.com/esri/public/badge.aspx?t=c&d=2014-02-26&i=25&ci=ESRI00102079>

[image: ArcGIS Desktop Professional 10.3]
<https://www.certmetrics.com/esri/public/badge.aspx?t=c&d=2015-04-30&i=30&ci=ESRI00102079>
Click here
<https://www.amazon.com/Learning-ArcGIS-Pro-performing-geospatial-ebook/dp/B089B5GNLQ/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=Learning+ArcGIS+Pro+2&qid=1594017672&sr=8-2>
to order my newest book,