[Sqg-program] FW:CHAZSQG Generator Status Field Change 10_13_03

Perrigan, Glen sqg-program@lists.dep.state.fl.us
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 15:57:26 -0400

I am passing this thread statewide to SQGers since you guys may have an
opinion. If you do lets hear it by responding to this thread. Read below =
for
details...

Issue: Should it be assumed, when entering wastes into chazsqg, that =
wastes
are mostly generated in the same month or are mostly generated in =
different
months. This will have a bearing on the generator status which is based =
on
the wastes codes you add to the system.

=20
-----Original Message-----
From: Griffith, John=20
Sent: Wednesday, October 15, 2003 10:23 AM
To: 'Agustin Olmos'; bobsny528@alltel.net; Gorton, Donna; Perrigan, Glen
Cc: Herb@coj.net; HSMITH@coj.net; Jtinsman@coj.net;
Juta_Karibo@doh.state.fl.us; mundy@ncfrpc.org; =
golmos@ns1.co.alachua.fl.us;
firemarshal@putnam-fl.com
Subject: RE: Generator Status Field Change 10_13_03

Gus,

I see your point, but as there are 12 months in a year - therefore 1/12
chance of the two high monthly amounts falling in the same month, the
probabilities favor separate months. My method assumes the county's =
ability
to manually correct the 8%(1/12) discrepancy by increasing the status =
level
(CESQG->SQG->LQG) without being able to reduce it and under-report the =
status
as based on annual averaging.=20

If I assume concurrent monthly totals and allow counties to reduce the
status, they will have to reduce the status more often (92% probability =
based
on not expecting Safety-Kleen and a lab pack in the same month).  This
requires allowing Counties to reduce status based on this probability =
and
increase based on waste in storage, etc., while simultaneously checking =
for
annual averaging limits. It's just more complex programming based on, I
think, a less likely scenario. All in all, the probability of a site =
actually
changing either way is pretty small and generally doesn't affect our
statewide counts significantly either way, so I went for the less =
complicated
way of doing things.

If I hear that it is more likely that the two monthly amounts do fall in =
the
same month, and a majority wants to do it the other way, I'm surely =
willing
to discuss it.  But based on an Ivory Twin Tower mathematical analysis, =
I'm
thinking -- default to the most probable (lower) status.  Anyway, when =
you
guys see somebody subjecting themselves to more regulation based on not
understanding the consequences of their benign actions, I'm hoping you =
are
counseling them to change their ways and become better environmental =
citizens
by more carefully managing their generation in the future.=20

Jack Griffith
MS 4555
2600 Blair Stone Road
Tallahassee FL, 32399-2400