[Sqg-program] Note to SQG and HHW lists: Mercury Switch Recovery Program

Perrigan, Glen Glen.Perrigan at dep.state.fl.us
Mon Nov 6 15:37:06 EST 2006

	On October 13, 900+ letters, signed by Mike Sole, Deputy Secretary
for Regulatory Programs, were sent to auto recyclers in Florida encouraging
them to participate in the National voluntary mercury switch removal and
recycling program.  A copy of the letter and post card (enclosed in the
letter) and a press release are posted at

http://www.dep.state.fl.us/waste/categories/mercury/pages/MercurySwitchRecove
ryFromScrapVehicles.htm, along with some other links.

	As of today, about 85 auto recyclers have sent the post card back
requesting a collection bucket and 149 letters have been returned as
undeliverable. The National program is being coordinated by the End of Life
Vehicle Solutions Corporation or ELVS and their web site is updated when auto
recyclers join the program by requesting a bucket.  Go to
www.elvsolutions.org <http://www.elvsolutions.org/>  and click on Mercury
Collection Data at the bottom as see how Florida is doing.  Also click on
Florida on the map to see the info posted there.

	The new twist:  the day we sent our letter out ELVS announced that
they would PAY one dollar per mercury switch collected and returned, so if
you should get a call about the program mention that there is now a $1.00
"bounty" or "incentive" for collecting the switches.

	Please let Raoul Clarke know if you have any questions 850-245-8750
or Raoul.clarke at dep.state.fl.us .