[Sqg-program] Post Solid Waste Resource Operations Supervisor on
DEP list server
Irene.Gleason at dep.state.fl.us
Wed Nov 8 11:27:18 EST 2006
SOLID WASTE RESOURCE OPERATIONS SUPERVISOR
SALARY RANGE: $21.00 - $31.51 per hour
LOCATION: Solid Waste - Environmental & Extension Services
Performs supervisory and skilled work involving planning and directing
subordinate personnel in the implementation of efficient solid waste programs
at landfills or at remote mini-transfer and recycling facilities. Supervises
and evaluates field activities in solid waste processing and disposal
operation techniques and monitors for compliance of environmental and
regulatory permit conditions as appropriate to the assigned area(s) of
- Plans, organizes, directs, and supervises personnel engaged in the
operation and maintenance of landfills or mini-transfer and recycling
facilities; establishes and schedules work priorities to comply with
departmental standards and in accordance with federal, State, and County
guidelines, rules, permits, and regulations.
- Assists departmental manager in developing and implementing departmental
policies and procedures, goals and objectives, and management plans; measures
results against standards and makes recommendations for modifications as
- Participates in the selection, placement, promotion, training, safety,
appraisal, and discipline of assigned employees.
- Investigates and documents customer service issues and/or citizen
complaints; recommends and implements corrective action as appropriate.
- Assists with the development and monitoring of annual operating budgets.
- Coordinates and monitors work of outside vendors, including the creation of
contract/bid specifications; oversees procurement of operating materials,
supplies and/or equipment.
- Directs proper operation of departmental equipment by observation,
training, and safety classes; schedules service and maintenance of equipment
- Reviews a variety of technical, analytical, and regulatory publications in
order to implement and ensure proper operating compliance.
- Prepares various reports for the purpose of planning and ensuring
- Performs basic administrative duties including written reports,
memorandums, letters, and electronic correspondence, interaction with
vendors, and communication through telephone and meetings.
Minimum Education and Experience: High school diploma, preferably
supplemented by college level course work in environmental sciences,
engineering, chemistry, biology or related field; and at least four (4) years
of relevant experience that includes progressively responsible environmental
program administration, hazardous waste management, pollution control,
project management, personnel, facility and/or general management; or an
equivalent combination of training, education and experience.
Licenses and/or Certificates:
Positions responsible for oversight of Landfills: Possession and maintenance
of a valid State of Florida Class "A" driver's license upon hire; Florida
DEP/TREEO Equipment Operator Short Course Certification and/or Solid Waste
Association of North America (SWANA) Manager of Landfill Training
Certification, or the ability to obtain with one (1) year of hire.
Positions responsible for oversight of Mini-Transfer and Recycling
facilities: Possession and maintenance of a valid State of Florida Class "E"
driver's license upon hire; Florida DEP/TREEO HazWoper 40-Hour Health &
Safety certification and Transfer Station certification from Solid Waste
Association of North America or FDEP, or the ability to obtain with one (1)
year of hire.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Thorough knowledge of municipal solid waste processing/disposal operating
principles and techniques applicable to assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Thorough knowledge of federal, State and local regulations and restrictions
pertaining to efficient processing/disposal of type(s) of solid waste
relevant to the assigned area(s) of responsibility.
- Knowledge of operations and practices of local government; ability to
analyze and interpret departmental functions, procedures and policies.
- Knowledge of, and competence in, the operation and maintenance of landfills
or remote mini-transfer and recycling facility equipment.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct, and appraise the work of assigned
personnel; knowledge of effective supervisory practices and techniques.
- Ability to make recommendations and to use resourcefulness and tact in
solving new problems.
- Strong written and oral communication skills to include the ability to
develop effective proposals.
- Skill in the use of standard office computer equipment and software
applications; ability to maintain accurate records and reports.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle.
Working Conditions: Work requires some exposure to environmental changes
(e.g., outdoor weather, warehouses, irate customers, extreme noise, heat,
odors, heights and/or dust).
Risk/Safety Conditions: This position requires some exposure or risk to
physical health and/or physical safety (e.g., exposure to environmentally
hazardous material, assault and battery, heavy equipment, communicable
Essential Physical Activities: Walking, stooping, sitting, pulling lifting,
grasping, hearing, seeing up close, talking, standing, kneeling, reaching,
pushing, finger movement, repetitive motions and depth perception. Frequent
lifting of 10 to 25 pounds; occasional lifting of up to 50 pounds.
Human Resources Specialist
Charlotte County Human Resources
sally.simmons at charlottefl.com <mailto:sally.simmons at charlottefl.com>
This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and
intended solely for the use of the individual or entity to whom they
are addressed. If you have received this email in error please notify
the system manager.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the Sqg-program