[Sqg-program] EPA's interactive media like blogs News Release (HQ): It's YOUR Environment and now EPA.gov is YOUR Web Site

Perrigan, Glen Glen.Perrigan at dep.state.fl.us
Tue Sep 9 14:23:20 EDT 2008

News for Release: Tuesday, Sept. 9, 2008

U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)

It's YOUR Environment and now EPA.gov is YOUR Web Site

Contact: Suzanne Ackerman, (202) 564-4355 / ackerman.suzanne at epa.gov

(Washington, D.C. - Sept. 9, 2008) Today, EPA is opening the doors on a new,
more interactive, and task-oriented Web site designed to meet users' needs.
We've heard from our audience - the American people - and they are interested
in more than just reading about EPA programs on the Web. Citizens want to
participate in protecting the environment in which they live and work. People
want an active voice in what happens at EPA. They want to find topics of
interest to them quickly.

"EPA has heard the voice of the people loud and clear! We're going to do
everything possible to make participating in environmental protection a
reality," said Molly O'Neill, EPA's Chief Information Officer and assistant
administrator for the Office of Environmental Information. "We're using Web
2.0 technologies to give citizens a Web site that is more interactive, uses
multimedia tools, and is better organized by what they want to do or know."

The new design includes:

Links to immediate actions people can take to protect the environment at home
or in their community:

*         How can I make my home more energy-efficient?

*         What and where can I recycle?

*         How do I learn about environmental conditions in my community?

*         What can my community do to help to prevent pollution?

Interactive media like blogs so people can:

*         Post comments to our blog "Greenversations"

*         Comment on proposed regulations

*         Bookmark EPA pages with Digg It.

Web 2.0 Tools to inform people on EPA activities:

*         RSS news feeds to provide information to subscribers

*         Videos and podcasts

*         Widgets to put EPA information on their Web site.

Take YOUR new Web site out for a "test drive": http://www.epa.gov
<http://www.epa.gov/>

And please use the blog (http://blog.epa.gov/blog/
<http://blog.epa.gov/blog/>  ) to let EPA know how it runs.

R227

Note: If a link above doesn't work, please copy and paste the URL into a
browser.

The Department of Environmental

Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and

improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of

service you received. Copy the url below to a web browser to complete the DEP

survey: http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Glen.Perrigan@dep.state.fl.us Thank you in advance for completing the survey.

You can update or cancel your subscription at any time
<https://service.govdelivery.com/service/user.html?code=USAEPA> .  You need
only your e-mail address (and your password if you have selected one).

This service is provided free of charge by the U.S. Environmental Protection
Agency.

If you have any questions or problems about this service, please contact
support at govdelivery.com for assistance.

Sent by the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency * 1200 Pennsylvania Avenue
NW * Washington DC 20460 * 202-564-4355