[Sqg-program] Residents and Travelers Alert: Possible I-10 and U.S. 90 Closures

Perrigan, Glen Glen.Perrigan at dep.state.fl.us
Wed Apr 8 13:16:43 EDT 2009

State of Florida

State Emergency Response Team

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
CONTACT: Public Information-ESF14

April 7, 2009
(850) 921-0217

RESIDENTS AND TRAVELERS ALERT:

POSSIBLE I-10 AND U.S. 90 CLOSURES

DUE TO SUWANNEE RIVER FLOOD CONDITIONS

~Travelers are urged to call 511 or visit www.FL511.com
<http://www.fl511.com/>

for real-time information on traffic conditions~

TALLAHASSEE - All residents and travelers in north Florida should be on alert
for rapidly changing conditions due to high water levels as a result of
recent rains in the region.  U.S. 90 at the Suwannee River (Madison and
Suwannee County line) could be closed to all traffic as early as Thursday.
If the water levels continue to rise, Interstate 10 (I-10) at the Suwannee
River could also be closed as early as Friday.

"We are asking all residents and travelers in north and north-central Florida
to pay close attention to possible road closures due to recent rainfall,"
said Governor Charlie Crist.  "We are ramping up state operations to respond
to the affected counties and support local governments.  We are also urging
residents living near the river to pay close attention to media reports,
review their disaster plans and be prepared for possible evacuation orders."

The Florida Department of Transportation (FDOT) is closely monitoring the
rising water levels along state roads and under bridges.  Many local roads
are already closed and traffic has been re-routed.

"Safety is our number one priority at the Florida Department of
Transportation," said FDOT Secretary Stephanie Kopelousos.  "We have crews
continuously checking the safety of the roads and bridges impacted by the
flood conditions."

Motorists are asked to delay or avoid travel through the impacted area until
the conditions improve.  To assist travelers, FDOT and the Florida Highway
Patrol (FHP), are working together with the Georgia Department of
Transportation (GDOT) and the Georgia State Patrol (GSP) to monitor road
conditions.

What to Expect and How to Prepare:

*      Highway speeds will be slower, please allow for extra travel time to
reach your destination.

*      Local roads near the Suwannee River may be subject to frequent
closures.

*      Make sure to fuel your vehicle prior to entering the region.

*      Pack water and snacks for your family.

*      Obey all special traffic signs and law enforcement orders.  Don't
depend on GPS devices as they are not updated with current road closures.

*      Remember, "Turnaround, Don't Drown" if faced with a flooded road.

Expect to see FDOT, FHP, GDOT and GSP personnel along area routes. All
motorists are advised to monitor their local media outlets for the latest
information on weather conditions and possible road closures.

For real-time information on traffic conditions call 511 or visit
www.FL511.com <http://www.fl511.com/>  before getting on the road.

For additional information, please visit www.FloridaDisaster.org
<http://www.floridadisaster.org/> .

All students, teachers and parents can find educational information and free
downloadable materials at: www.KidsGetAPlan.com
<http://www.kidsgetaplan.com/> .

And for the latest daily situation and flash reports go to:
www.YouTube.com/FloridaSERT.

###

Please do not reply to this email.  This mailbox is not monitored and you
will not receive a response.

Please distribute this information to all employees in your
office/division/district who are not on E-mail or do not have access to the
Internet. Employees who are on E-Mail will receive the memo through their
appropriate systems. Your assistance in this distribution is appreciated.

The Department of Environmental

Protection values your feedback as a customer. DEP Secretary Michael W. Sole is committed to continuously assessing and

improving the level and quality of services provided to you. Please take a few minutes to comment on the quality of

service you received. Copy the url below to a web browser to complete the DEP

survey: http://survey.dep.state.fl.us/?refemail=Glen.Perrigan@dep.state.fl.us Thank you in advance for completing the survey.