[Pharmwaste] Pharm waste to energy

matthew mireles mirelesmc at earthlink.net
Wed Aug 1 17:01:02 EDT 2007

We participate on a monthly conference call with the DEA and EPA, and the
incineration method must meet the strict emission compliance of EPA.  So
far, the approved standard incineration (controlled, witnessed) used by the
DEA and other law enforcement to deal with illegal drugs is acceptable.
Temp, I believe, is a minimum of 1200 F.  We also believe this temp will
burn sufficiently all containers of the medicines as well.  Of course,
scrubbers and filtration systems will be required to keep air contaminants
(particulates) as low as possible.  We are working directly with the EPA.

We encourage community-based drug collection and disposal only with the
partnership with law enforcement specifically to address the legal and
environmental safety concerns.  Possession of controlled substance is a
serious issue.  Safe and proper destruction of the returned drugs is
another.  For now, our process involves returning the drugs directly to law
enforcement for destruction by controlled, witness incineration.

I hope you can join us October 31-Nov 1 at the International Maine
Benzodiazepine Study Group Conference (http://www.mainebenzo.org/) to learn
more about this project and meet other experts in the field.

Matthew Mireles