[Pharmwaste] Rachel Was Wrong website and Bias

RAFFENSPERGERC at cs.com RAFFENSPERGERC at cs.com
Fri Jun 8 20:36:37 EDT 2007

It is useful to distinguish between bias and conflicts of interest.  As an
environmentalist I am "biased" -- meaning I have a point of view.  But Exxon
Mobil on the science of global warming has a conflict of interest,  The
difference between bias and conflict of interest is that money is at stake with
conflicts of interest.

Purveyors of information that have a demonstrable conflict of interest are
propagandists and their interpretations of science should be treated with extra
skepticism.

People with a bias may require different levels of evidence to pursuade them.
 But someone who is bought and paid for will most likely be unaffected by any
level of evidence.

Carolyn Raffensperger
Science and Environmental Health Network

   </HTML>