[Pharmwaste] 'Hormone free' milk labeling ban in PA postponed

Bowling, Patrick gbowling at state.pa.us
Thu Nov 29 13:12:03 EST 2007

Following up on a previous post...
==========================

'Hormone free' milk labeling ban postponed
Wire Report
Article Launched: 11/29/2007 12:39:31 PM EST
Original URL: http://www.eveningsun.com/localnews/ci_7590747

HARRISBURG (AP) -- The state is reconsidering a decision that would stop
dairies from labeling milk containers as hormone-free.

The additional scrutiny by the Agriculture Department and governor's
office is expected to take two months or more, postponing the new rule
at least a month beyond its original Jan. 1 effective date.

A spokesman for Gov. Ed Rendell says opposition from rural lawmakers and
farm lobbyists prompted the additional review.

"We've gotten feedback from a wide variety of people, both for and
against," state Agriculture Department spokesman Chris Ryder said
Wednesday.

The department recently announced it would act against misleading labels
on dairy products, particularly claims that milk is free from artificial
growth hormones.

Agriculture Secretary Dennis C. Wolff said such claims are misleading to
the public and unfair to competitors - a brand calling itself free from
artificial hormones can imply that other milk is unsafe. Synthetic
hormones are injected into cows to improve milk production
but have never been detected in milk.

Consumer demand has resulted in more products being billed as
hormone-free. A recent national price survey found that hormone-free
milk prices were typically about 25 percent higher than milk without the
claims.