[Pharmwaste] CNN story on AP Investigation on Pharmaceuticals in Drinking Water

Boadway, Debra DBoadway at lacsd.org
Tue Mar 11 12:21:20 EDT 2008

CNN's giving coverage to the story on AP Investigation on Pharmaceuticals in Drinking Water, but is their coverage accurate?   This article has gained much attention.  However, misinformation still abounds.  CNN (Dr. Sanjay Gupta) stated Drugs listed on the Office of National Drug Control Policy web site to be flushed (such as oxycodone, entecavir, Actiq & Daytrana Trandermal Patch) should be flushed because once they dissolve, they are harmless.  I don't believe this is accurate.  Can anybody shed light on the Office of National Drug Control Policy?   I think these drugs still cause environmental harm and misinforming the public may only make things worse.

thank you

Deborah Boadway
Project Engineer
Los Angeles County Sanitation Districts