[Pharmwaste] EPA Settlement with Upper Southampton Includes Pharmaceutical Education to Protect Drinking Water Sources

PDeLeo at sdahq.org PDeLeo at sdahq.org
Thu Mar 20 11:54:22 EDT 2008

From "Top Stories" on EPA Homepage

EPA Settlement with Upper Southampton Includes Pharmaceutical Education to
Protect Drinking Water Sources

Release date: 03/17/2008

Contact Information: David Sternberg (215) 814-5548,
sternberg.david at epa.gov

PHILADELPHIA (March 17, 2008) The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency
today announced a proposed settlement with Upper Southampton Sewer
Authority in Southampton, Bucks County, Pa., for violations of the Clean
Water Act.

As part of the settlement, the authority will conduct an awareness campaign
to encourage proper collection and disposal of unused pharmaceuticals in
order to help protect drinking water sources. The campaign will include
preparing and distributing materials to institutional customers such as
local hospitals, retirement communities, and schools about the proper
disposal of prescription drugs.

“This settlement is extremely timely given recent information about
pharmaceuticals in drinking water. While there is no evidence that
trace-amounts of pharmaceuticals in drinking water causes a health threat,
we all need to do what we can to make sure our water remains healthy to
drink,” said Donald S. Welsh, EPA Regional Administrator for the
mid-Atlantic region.

The settlement resolves unpermitted sanitary sewer discharges to Mill Creek
from 2002 through 2006. The estimated cost of the pharmaceutical project is
$10,800. Under the settlement, the authority will also pay a $16,200
penalty.

The proposed settlement will undergo a 40-day comment period before
becoming final.

For more information about pharmaceuticals in drinking water go to:
http://www.epa.gov/ppcp/