[Pharmwaste] Does your state have a list of hazardous pharmaceuticals?

Jeff Hollar jhollar at pwaste.com
Thu Mar 20 17:30:39 EDT 2008

I would like to offer a word of caution.  You will find bits and pieces of
pharmaceutical hazardous waste information for pharmaceuticals if you Google
it.  We have found occasional instances of contradictions, over
generalizations and flat out errors.  For example, if you look at Florida’s
list you will find “Brevibloc (>24% Alcohol)” carries a EPA Waste Code of
D001.  One may take this to mean Brevibloc contains greater than 24% alcohol
and is therefore ignitable (D001).  That was my initial interpretation.
However, upon a detailed examination of the MSDS, you will find that this
ignitability characteristic only applies to the higher concentrations of
Brevibloc, NDC’s (00590-0025-18, 10019-0025-18, 00590-0025-18), leaving nine
other Brevibloc’s in our system that are not ignitable.  There’s also the
issue of current EPA decisions (e.g., Epinephrine salts) that may not be
reflected in past publications.  These non-commercial publications and lists
may be a good starting point, but remember, it is ultimately the generator
who is responsible for the proper identification of their hazardous waste.
Hopefully, my input provided you with useful information without crossing
the guidelines of promoting our service.

Jeff Hollar

President

PharmWaste Technologies, Inc.

4164 NW Urbandale Dr., Suite A

Urbandale, IA 50322

(P) 515-276-5302 Ext. 316

(F) 480-393-5564

(E) HYPERLINK "mailto:Jhollar at Pwaste.com"Jhollar at Pwaste.com

Colleagues...

Florida has a list of some 200+ hazardous pharmaceuticals...a useful aid for
hospitals and regulators.  Tennessee regulators have asked whether other
states have similar lists, perhaps even more inclusive than Florida's list.
I would appreciate hearing from you, whether or not you have a list of
hazardous pharms---and/or personal care products---so that Tennessee
Department of Environment and Conservation "knows what's out there".  I
would happy to provide you with the final compilation of information.

Thanks for your help.

Regards,

Richard Buggeln, Ph.D.
Manager, Environmental Programs &