[Pharmwaste] Does your state have a list ofhazardouspharmaceuticals?

Eva Dale eva at wastenotwashington.org
Thu Mar 20 20:51:32 EDT 2008

Matthew,
I just want to clarify the 40% - 50% you refer to. It's my understanding
that this figure is OF PRESCRIPTION DRUGS COLLECTED AT TAKE-BACK PROGRAMS
and not
40% - 50% of prescription drugs. Please, could you clarify this?

Also, I know that there are many different sources for rates of disposing of
drugs down the drain. I would like to add to the data in use by giving
statistics from a survey performed on a sample of King County residents
(Seattle, WA area). When asked "How does your household typically get rid of
unused or expired medicines?" the responses were:
52% put in household garbage/trash and
20% flush down the toilet or sink
The remainder reported using other methods or responded with "does not
apply".
(The margin of error is +/- 4%.)
For more survey results, check out
http://wastenotwashington.org/Pharmsurveyhighlights.htm.

Thanks,
Eva Dale
Pharmaceuticals and the Environment Project
Washington Citizens for Resource Conservation
2021 Third Avenue
Seattle, WA 98121
(206) 441-1790

eva at wastenotwashington.org