[Pharmwaste] APhA, PhRMA, and US Fish & Wildlife Service

Miller, Daniel R daniel-miller-1 at uiowa.edu
Thu Mar 27 15:03:51 EDT 2008

Hello all,

This may be old news to some, but the American Pharmacists Association teamed up with the Pharmaceutical Research and Manufacturers of America AND the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  What they came up with was the same as previous recommendations on the disposal of dispense prescription medications.  For a full update go here: http://www.pharmacist.com/AM/Template.cfm?Template=/CM/ContentDisplay.cfm&ContentID=15594

A website was born from this, though, most likely with PhRMA money: http://www.smarxtdisposal.net/

This website is handy and easy to read so far.  It does not recommend any flushing of any kind, as opposed to previous DEA recommendations.

And if anyone needs a handy, easy to reformat pamphlet for public education of Medicinal Waste, let me know.  I threw something quite proper together in a Microsoft Word template.

Daniel Miller
Student Pharmacist
Iowa City, IA