[Pharmwaste] Access database for use for inventory of collected pharmaceuticals

Jaramillo, Jeanie Jeanie.Jaramillo at ttuhsc.edu
Thu Dec 17 11:56:24 EST 2009

Hi Ed,

We held our first event on Sep. 12th.  Our poison educator, Ronica Farrar, developed an Access database and form for inventory of items collected.  It has about 600 medications pre-entered.  There were still numerous meds that we manually entered as people brought tons of alternative products, etc.  There are a few fields that you would need to customize for your event.  I tried to send you the Access database, but the file was too large.  So, we have added it to our Medication Disposal Google Group website.  I've attached a document explaining how to join our Google Group.  If you would like to view the documents we have, many of them are posted there and the database is now there too. (Go to "files" "view all"; the database is labeled "Medication Cleanout Database A"). You are welcome to use any of those materials and modify them in any way needed.  Our next event is also in March and we will likely be adding more to the database.  If you aren't already planning to do a participant survey, you might consider it.  One of the most valuable things we did was to ask every participant what they would have done with the meds if they could not have brought them to the collection.  55% said they simply would have KEPT them!!!! From memory, about 12% would have trashed them and ~10% would have flushed.  I'd be happy to have a phone conference or GoToMeeting if you would like.  Good luck!

Jeanie Jaramillo, PharmD
Managing Director, Texas Panhandle Poison Center
Assistant Professor, Texas Tech UHSC School of Pharmacy
1501 S. Coulter St.
Amarillo, TX 79106
P: (806) 354-1611
C: (806) 672-0833