[Pharmwaste] Re: Pharmwaste Digest, Vol 47, Issue 6 - Hand Sanitizer

Meryl Klein merylklein at earthlink.net
Wed Sep 30 10:04:00 EDT 2009


Has anyone thought of doing a life cycle analysis on resources used  
(soap and water [remember that water is fast becoming a commodity])  
vs. sanitizer and comparing the effectiveness of both.  I know there  
was a study back in the early 2000s comparing handwashing and alcohol- 
based sanitizers and they found that the sanitizers with moisturizers  
were better for hospital employees who had to wash often as the soap  
and water and plain sanitizer dried the hands too much and let in  
infection.  Triclosan should definitely be banned.  Period.

Perhaps there are times when small children, unless strictly  
monitored, are not up to the task of properly washing their hands.  I  
watch my own four year old wash mostly properly and then cringe when  
she touches the sink and just about every other surface there is in  
the public restroom despite my explanations of why we should not do  
this after she washes her hands.

I think there is a place for both proper handwashing and sanitizer.



On Sep 29, 2009, at 6:52 PM, pharmwaste-request at lists.dep.state.fl.us  
wrote:

> Send Pharmwaste mailing list submissions to
> 	pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
> To subscribe or unsubscribe via the World Wide Web, visit
> 	http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> or, via email, send a message with subject or body 'help' to
> 	pharmwaste-request at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
> You can reach the person managing the list at
> 	pharmwaste-owner at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
> When replying, please edit your Subject line so it is more specific
> than "Re: Contents of Pharmwaste digest..."
>
>
> Today's Topics:
>
>    1. RE: hand sanitizer (Suhr, Marcus W.)
>    2. RE: RE: hand sanitizer (Lyle Milby)
>    3. RE: RE: hand sanitizer (Gressitt, Stevan)
>    4. Re: RE: hand sanitizer (TBadrick at aol.com)
>    5. RE: RE: hand sanitizer (Matthew C. Mireles)
>    6. RE: RE: hand sanitizer (Volkman, Jennifer)
>    7. RE: RE: hand sanitizer (Matthew C. Mireles)
>
>
> ----------------------------------------------------------------------
>
> Message: 1
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:19:33 -0400
> From: "Suhr, Marcus W." <MSuhr at ChristianaCare.org>
> Subject: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: <pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
> Message-ID:
> 	<D69AAE0446628A44B9869C47841645FF0D85FD18 at eschrmb01.mcd.pri>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
> I read an article where a child was poisoned by alcohol sanitizer
> recently.  Its only a matter of time before a child dies, or they  
> start
> getting the swift idea of lighting it.  My own step-son was  
> required by
> the school to bring a bottle to begin the year.  This is a clear  
> example
> of bringing an item to market, and not enough controls.  Everyone  
> thinks
> sanitizer is so great.
>
> Anyone else being requested to bring it to school?
>
> Marcus Suhr, ASP
> Industrial Hygienist
> Christiana Care Health Services
> Occupational Safety Department, Office L840J
> 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road
> Newark, DE 19718
> 302-733-3787 (office)
> 302-573-7662 (pager)
> 302-733-3771 (fax)
> MSuhr at christianacare.org
>
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 2
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 14:27:37 -0500
> From: "Lyle Milby" <Lyle.Milby at NormanOK.gov>
> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: "Suhr, Marcus W." <MSuhr at ChristianaCare.org>,
> 	<pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
> Message-ID:
> 	<178AEFF1493D434386CF580401CFED0F449BB5 at ponyexpress.ci.norman.ok.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="us-ascii"
>
> Our school system is putting these out in all of the schools at the
> recommendation of the County Health Department in response to  
> H1N1.  Our
> Fire Department expressed reservations but they decided to go ahead  
> with
> it.  I assume it is an alcohol based product because of the fire
> department concern.
>
> Lyle Milby
> City of Norman
> Environmental Services
> P.O. Box 370
> Norman, OK  73070
> (405) 292-9731
> lyle.milby at normanok.gov
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Suhr,
> Marcus W.
> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:20 PM
> To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Subject: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>
> I read an article where a child was poisoned by alcohol sanitizer
> recently.  Its only a matter of time before a child dies, or they  
> start
> getting the swift idea of lighting it.  My own step-son was  
> required by
> the school to bring a bottle to begin the year.  This is a clear  
> example
> of bringing an item to market, and not enough controls.  Everyone  
> thinks
> sanitizer is so great.
>
> Anyone else being requested to bring it to school?
>
> Marcus Suhr, ASP
> Industrial Hygienist
> Christiana Care Health Services
> Occupational Safety Department, Office L840J
> 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road
> Newark, DE 19718
> 302-733-3787 (office)
> 302-573-7662 (pager)
> 302-733-3771 (fax)
> MSuhr at christianacare.org
>
>
> ---
> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
> messages
> to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of messages
> received by digest recipients.
> ---
> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e-mail to
> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line and
> body of the e-mail should be blank.
> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email address,
> please visit the subscriber listing at
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 3
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:39:07 -0400
> From: "Gressitt, Stevan" <Stevan.Gressitt at maine.gov>
> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: "Lyle Milby" <Lyle.Milby at NormanOK.gov>,	"Suhr, Marcus W."
> 	<MSuhr at ChristianaCare.org>,	<pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
> Message-ID:
> 	<0F9DE263E5900443A7E41D68717431670360206B at SOM- 
> TEAQASMAIL6.som.w2k.state.me.us>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain;	charset="US-ASCII"
>
> Let's see, 62% Ethyl Alcohol= 124 proof? Jack Daniels is what?
>
> Stevan Gressitt, M.D., Medical Director
> Office of Adult Mental Health Services
> Department of Health and Human Services
> Marquardt Building, 2nd Floor
> 11 State House Station
> 32 Blossom Lane
> Augusta, ME  04333-0011
> Ph: (207)287-4273
> Fax: (207)287-1022
> Cell Phone: (207) 441-0291
> E-Mail : stevan.gressitt at maine.gov
> http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mh/
>
> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any  
> attachments,
> is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  It may contain
> confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,  
> copy,
> use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
> intended recipient, please note that any dissemination,  
> distribution or
> copying of this is strictly prohibited.  Please contact me by reply
> e-mail or telephone and destroy all copies of this message.
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Lyle
> Milby
> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:28 PM
> To: Suhr, Marcus W.; pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>
> Our school system is putting these out in all of the schools at the
> recommendation of the County Health Department in response to  
> H1N1.  Our
> Fire Department expressed reservations but they decided to go ahead  
> with
> it.  I assume it is an alcohol based product because of the fire
> department concern.
>
> Lyle Milby
> City of Norman
> Environmental Services
> P.O. Box 370
> Norman, OK  73070
> (405) 292-9731
> lyle.milby at normanok.gov
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
> From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Suhr,
> Marcus W.
> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:20 PM
> To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Subject: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>
> I read an article where a child was poisoned by alcohol sanitizer
> recently.  Its only a matter of time before a child dies, or they  
> start
> getting the swift idea of lighting it.  My own step-son was  
> required by
> the school to bring a bottle to begin the year.  This is a clear  
> example
> of bringing an item to market, and not enough controls.  Everyone  
> thinks
> sanitizer is so great.
>
> Anyone else being requested to bring it to school?
>
> Marcus Suhr, ASP
> Industrial Hygienist
> Christiana Care Health Services
> Occupational Safety Department, Office L840J
> 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road
> Newark, DE 19718
> 302-733-3787 (office)
> 302-573-7662 (pager)
> 302-733-3771 (fax)
> MSuhr at christianacare.org
>
>
> ---
> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
> messages
> to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of messages
> received by digest recipients.
> ---
> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e-mail to
> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line and
> body of the e-mail should be blank.
> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email address,
> please visit the subscriber listing at
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> ---
> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
> messages
> to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of messages
> received by digest recipients.
> ---
> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e-mail to
> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line and
> body of the e-mail should be blank.
> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email address,
> please visit the subscriber listing at
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 4
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:01:30 EDT
> From: TBadrick at aol.com
> Subject: Re: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Message-ID: <c0a.649e2680.37f3ddba at aol.com>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> I refer to them as little bombs in the hospital.  In an age where fire
> marshals freak out over recycling containers size due to fire  
> risk....its okay
> to put aerosol containers (otherwise known as compressed gas  
> cylinders) of
> flammable materials every twenty feet or so along a wall?..  gee I  
> feel
> safe now.  Whatever happened to soap and water and proper  
> technique?   is that
> too complicated?  This is what happens when rampant uneducated  
> fear  trumps
> science and logic.
>
> I clearly remember the day, sitting in the Reno airport bar and Wolf
> Blitzer comes on TV with a special report about deadly MRSA...all I  
> could think
> about was how this would put a halt to all other hospital projects  
> to solve
> a  problem that really wasn't a problem, because guess what MRSA is  
> already
> everywhere and that just employing proper hand washing would do just
> fine....sigghhhh, I must be getting older ;-)
>
> Tom Badrick
> Badrick Consulting
>
>
>
> In a message dated 9/29/2009 12:28:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> Lyle.Milby at NormanOK.gov writes:
>
> Our  school system is putting these out in all of the schools at  the
> recommendation of the County Health Department in response to   
> H1N1.  Our
> Fire Department expressed reservations but they decided to  go  
> ahead with
> it.  I assume it is an alcohol based product because of  the fire
> department concern.
>
> Lyle Milby
> City of  Norman
> Environmental Services
> P.O. Box 370
> Norman, OK   73070
> (405) 292-9731
> lyle.milby at normanok.gov
>
>
> -----Original  Message-----
> From:  pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us]  On Behalf Of Suhr,
> Marcus W.
> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:20  PM
> To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Subject: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand  sanitizer
>
> I read an article where a child was poisoned by alcohol  sanitizer
> recently.  Its only a matter of time before a child dies, or  they  
> start
> getting the swift idea of lighting it.  My own step-son was   
> required by
> the school to bring a bottle to begin the year.  This is a  clear  
> example
> of bringing an item to market, and not enough controls.   Everyone  
> thinks
> sanitizer is so great.
>
> Anyone else being  requested to bring it to school?
>
> Marcus Suhr, ASP
> Industrial Hygienist
> Christiana Care Health Services
> Occupational  Safety Department, Office L840J
> 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road
> Newark, DE  19718
> 302-733-3787 (office)
> 302-573-7662 (pager)
> 302-733-3771 (fax)
> MSuhr at christianacare.org
>
>
> ---
> Note: As a courtesy to other  listserv subscribers, please post  
> messages
> to the listserv in plain text  format to avoid the garbling of  
> messages
> received by digest  recipients.
> ---
> TO SUBSCRIBE, go  to:
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> TO  UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e- 
> mail  to
> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line  and
> body of the e-mail should be blank.
> If you believe you may be  subscribed with a different email address,
> please visit the subscriber  listing at
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator   
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> SEND MAIL to the list server at:   pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> ---
> Note: As a courtesy to other  listserv subscribers, please post  
> messages to
> the listserv in plain text  format to avoid the garbling of messages
> received by digest  recipients.
> ---
> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> TO  UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e- 
> mail to
> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line  
> and body of
> the e-mail should be blank.
> If you believe you may be subscribed with a  different email address,
> please visit the subscriber listing at
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> FOR  PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> SEND MAIL to the list server at:   pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/pipermail/pharmwaste/attachments/ 
> 20090929/50b95758/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 5
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:19:44 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Matthew C. Mireles" <mirelesmc at earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: "Gressitt,Stevan" <Stevan.Gressitt at maine.gov>,	Lyle Milby
> 	<Lyle.Milby at NormanOK.gov>,	"Suhr,Marcus W."
> 	<MSuhr at ChristianaCare.org>,	pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Cc: linkfilion at yahoo.com, Elizabeth Smith <smithce at flash.net>,
> 	jamiller at communityofcompetence.com
> Message-ID:
> 	<33222853.1254262784422.JavaMail.root at elwamui- 
> rubis.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
>
> Dr. Jerry Miller, an epidemiologist, at our Foundation would be a  
> good person to consult with.  He did a fellowship at CDC in Atlanta  
> and is now our VP for Research.
>
> For schools and some clinical facilitites, we recommend simple,  
> proper handwashing with soap and warm water as well as prudent  
> hygiene and sanitation practices.  Some school districts are  
> presenting learning lessons with practices in the lavatory for the  
> correct handwashing.  I heard one school has kids reciting the  
> alphabet A-Z (approx 15 sec--about same time recommended by CDC for  
> kids) to time how long they should lather hands with soap before  
> rinsing.  Paper napkins or motion-sensed driers are used to dry  
> hands.  Some even instruct kids to avoid touching door handles and  
> open the door with a paper napkin and throw the napkin the waste  
> basket right outside the restroom.
>
> Kids are reminded to cover their nose and mouths with tissue when  
> they sneeze or cough.  If tissue paper is not available, they are  
> instructed to cough or sneeze into their folded upper arms so they  
> won't spread germs.  It's hoot to walk into a classroom as see kids  
> practicing how to cough into their arms.  Many lessons that I'm  
> mentioned are strategies being used mainly on the west coast as an  
> introduction to personal hygiene as well as proper etiquette.
>
> Hand sanitizing, disinfecting gels, liquids, ointments, etc. are  
> useful in some occasions but probably not too wise as an effort to  
> prevent infection and cross contamination.  to require parents to  
> provide the product to their kids without sufficient rationale for  
> the parents or the kids might be interpreted as an extraneous  
> attempt to combat the H1N1 epidemic.  There's already a misplaced  
> fear of H1N1 being spread by pork products.  Please save the bacon!
>
> Reliance on only these liquids or gel sanitzers may produce some  
> unintended consequences.  CDC reports 2 million cases of nosocomial  
> infections in our hospitals resulting in 90,000 deaths of our  
> patients each year.  Hospitals are frantically investing money into  
> putting dispensers with hand sanitizers on the floors, in patients'  
> rooms, waiting rooms, etc.  Some hospitals hire secret monitors to  
> observe handwashing and record noncompliance; some even pay staff  
> members to wash their hands correctly out of sheer desperation.  in  
> addition to carrying the stethoscope and cheat sheets in their  
> pockets, many nurses and docs are given courtesy of the medical  
> supply companies personal bottles of hand sanitzers.  Hence, many  
> are skippping the standard sink and soap routine.
>
> The results have not been too impressive: infection rate has not  
> gotten better.  As a matter of fact, healthcare professionals'  
> behavior and attitude with proper handwashing have worsen.
>
> We were contracted by a major company in Austin TX to provide a  
> health education and promotion poster for handwashing--we  
> recommended soap and water and hygiene.  We thought about inviting  
> those kids to do a demo for the company's execs and remind them  
> that sometimes simple is best, like the ABCs.
>
>
> Matthew C. Mireles, PhD, MPH
> President and CEO
> Community Medical Foundation for Patient Safety
>
>
>
>
> -----Original Message-----
>> From: "Gressitt, Stevan" <Stevan.Gressitt at maine.gov>
>> Sent: Sep 29, 2009 2:39 PM
>> To: Lyle Milby <Lyle.Milby at NormanOK.gov>, "Suhr, Marcus W."  
>> <MSuhr at ChristianaCare.org>, pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>>
>> Let's see, 62% Ethyl Alcohol= 124 proof? Jack Daniels is what?
>>
>> Stevan Gressitt, M.D., Medical Director
>> Office of Adult Mental Health Services
>> Department of Health and Human Services
>> Marquardt Building, 2nd Floor
>> 11 State House Station
>> 32 Blossom Lane
>> Augusta, ME  04333-0011
>> Ph: (207)287-4273
>> Fax: (207)287-1022
>> Cell Phone: (207) 441-0291
>> E-Mail : stevan.gressitt at maine.gov
>> http://www.maine.gov/dhhs/mh/
>>
>> Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any  
>> attachments,
>> is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s).  It may contain
>> confidential and privileged information.  Any unauthorized review,  
>> copy,
>> use, disclosure, or distribution is prohibited.  If you are not the
>> intended recipient, please note that any dissemination,  
>> distribution or
>> copying of this is strictly prohibited.  Please contact me by reply
>> e-mail or telephone and destroy all copies of this message.
>>
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Lyle
>> Milby
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 3:28 PM
>> To: Suhr, Marcus W.; pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>>
>> Our school system is putting these out in all of the schools at the
>> recommendation of the County Health Department in response to  
>> H1N1.  Our
>> Fire Department expressed reservations but they decided to go  
>> ahead with
>> it.  I assume it is an alcohol based product because of the fire
>> department concern.
>>
>> Lyle Milby
>> City of Norman
>> Environmental Services
>> P.O. Box 370
>> Norman, OK  73070
>> (405) 292-9731
>> lyle.milby at normanok.gov
>>
>>
>> -----Original Message-----
>> From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of Suhr,
>> Marcus W.
>> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:20 PM
>> To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> Subject: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>>
>> I read an article where a child was poisoned by alcohol sanitizer
>> recently.  Its only a matter of time before a child dies, or they  
>> start
>> getting the swift idea of lighting it.  My own step-son was  
>> required by
>> the school to bring a bottle to begin the year.  This is a clear  
>> example
>> of bringing an item to market, and not enough controls.  Everyone  
>> thinks
>> sanitizer is so great.
>>
>> Anyone else being requested to bring it to school?
>>
>> Marcus Suhr, ASP
>> Industrial Hygienist
>> Christiana Care Health Services
>> Occupational Safety Department, Office L840J
>> 4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road
>> Newark, DE 19718
>> 302-733-3787 (office)
>> 302-573-7662 (pager)
>> 302-733-3771 (fax)
>> MSuhr at christianacare.org
>>
>>
>> ---
>> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
>> messages
>> to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of  
>> messages
>> received by digest recipients.
>> ---
>> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
>> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
>> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e- 
>> mail to
>> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line and
>> body of the e-mail should be blank.
>> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email address,
>> please visit the subscriber listing at
>> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
>> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
>> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
>> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> ---
>> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
>> messages
>> to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of  
>> messages
>> received by digest recipients.
>> ---
>> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
>> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
>> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e- 
>> mail to
>> pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line and
>> body of the e-mail should be blank.
>> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email address,
>> please visit the subscriber listing at
>> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
>> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
>> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
>> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>> ---
>> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
>> messages to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the  
>> garbling of messages received by digest recipients.
>> ---
>> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:   http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/ 
>> mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
>> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e- 
>> mail to pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the  
>> subject line and body of the e-mail should be blank.
>> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email  
>> address, please visit the subscriber listing at http:// 
>> lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
>> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
>> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
>> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
>
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 6
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 17:22:54 -0500
> From: "Volkman, Jennifer" <Jennifer.Volkman at state.mn.us>
> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: <TBadrick at aol.com>, <pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us>
> Message-ID:
> 	<6246727221874A4FB8D3F9BBC37D9BD5079D9258 at s-sp22.pca.state.mn.us>
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> My kids haven't been asked to carry concealed yet.  They used to  
> get an
> extra credit point for bringing a box of tissues to class, but the
> school disallowed that practice this year because they felt it  
> might be
> unfair to those who could not afford to supply the school with  
> tissues.
> So, the kids are packing their own or using the back of the hand,  
> wall,
> desk or whatever is handy.  Management at our state agency (and  
> probably
> all of them in MN) issued each desk a 4 oz bottle (apparently this
> equals about 8 martinis) and a container of wipes.  I've heard they  
> will
> be installing dispensers outside all of our conference rooms, just  
> like
> hospitals.  A nurse friend of mine said they had to switch to another
> type of sanitizer at her hospital because too many employees (they  
> like
> to blame the janitors) were adding a shot to their morning coffee. It
> fits right in with all the other craziness...must be something in the
> water...
>
>
>
>
>
> From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> [mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of
> TBadrick at aol.com
> Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 5:01 PM
> To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Subject: Re: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
>
>
>
> I refer to them as little bombs in the hospital.  In an age where fire
> marshals freak out over recycling containers size due to fire
> risk....its okay to put aerosol containers (otherwise known as
> compressed gas cylinders) of flammable materials every twenty feet  
> or so
> along a wall?..  gee I feel safe now.  Whatever happened to soap and
> water and proper technique?  is that too complicated?  This is what
> happens when rampant uneducated fear trumps science and logic.
>
>
>
> I clearly remember the day, sitting in the Reno airport bar and Wolf
> Blitzer comes on TV with a special report about deadly MRSA...all I
> could think about was how this would put a halt to all other hospital
> projects to solve a problem that really wasn't a problem, because  
> guess
> what MRSA is already everywhere and that just employing proper hand
> washing would do just fine....sigghhhh, I must be getting older ;-)
>
>
>
> Tom Badrick
>
> Badrick Consulting
>
>
>
>
>
> In a message dated 9/29/2009 12:28:22 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time,
> Lyle.Milby at NormanOK.gov writes:
>
> 	Our school system is putting these out in all of the schools at
> the
> 	recommendation of the County Health Department in response to
> H1N1.  Our
> 	Fire Department expressed reservations but they decided to go
> ahead with
> 	it.  I assume it is an alcohol based product because of the fire
> 	department concern.
> 	
> 	Lyle Milby
> 	City of Norman
> 	Environmental Services
> 	P.O. Box 370
> 	Norman, OK  73070
> 	(405) 292-9731
> 	lyle.milby at normanok.gov
> 	
> 	
> 	-----Original Message-----
> 	From: pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> 	[mailto:pharmwaste-bounces at lists.dep.state.fl.us] On Behalf Of
> Suhr,
> 	Marcus W.
> 	Sent: Tuesday, September 29, 2009 2:20 PM
> 	To: pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> 	Subject: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> 	
> 	I read an article where a child was poisoned by alcohol
> sanitizer
> 	recently.  Its only a matter of time before a child dies, or
> they start
> 	getting the swift idea of lighting it.  My own step-son was
> required by
> 	the school to bring a bottle to begin the year.  This is a clear
> example
> 	of bringing an item to market, and not enough controls.
> Everyone thinks
> 	sanitizer is so great.
> 	
> 	Anyone else being requested to bring it to school?
> 	
> 	Marcus Suhr, ASP
> 	Industrial Hygienist
> 	Christiana Care Health Services
> 	Occupational Safety Department, Office L840J
> 	4755 Ogletown-Stanton Road
> 	Newark, DE 19718
> 	302-733-3787 (office)
> 	302-573-7662 (pager)
> 	302-733-3771 (fax)
> 	MSuhr at christianacare.org
> 	
> 	
> 	---
> 	Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post
> messages
> 	to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of
> messages
> 	received by digest recipients.
> 	---
> 	TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
> 	http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
>
> 	TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an
> e-mail to
> 	pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line
> and
> 	body of the e-mail should be blank.
> 	If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email
> address,
> 	please visit the subscriber listing at
> 	http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> 	FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> 	SEND MAIL to the list server at:
> pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> 	---
> 	Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post
> messages to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling of
> messages received by digest recipients.
> 	---
> 	TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/listinfo/pharmwaste
> 	TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an
> e-mail to pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject
> line and body of the e-mail should be blank.
> 	If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email
> address, please visit the subscriber listing at
> http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> 	FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> 	SEND MAIL to the list server at:
> pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
> -------------- next part --------------
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/pipermail/pharmwaste/attachments/ 
> 20090929/b31acefc/attachment.html
>
> ------------------------------
>
> Message: 7
> Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 18:52:30 -0400 (EDT)
> From: "Matthew C. Mireles" <mirelesmc at earthlink.net>
> Subject: RE: [Pharmwaste] RE: hand sanitizer
> To: "Volkman,Jennifer" <Jennifer.Volkman at state.mn.us>,
> 	TBadrick at aol.com, pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
> Cc: jerrymiller at communityofcompetence.com, Elizabeth Smith
> 	<smithce at flash.net>,	mcmireles at communityofcompetence.com,
> 	linkfilion at yahoo.com,	Douglas Dotan <ddotan at crgmedical.com>
> Message-ID:
> 	<20595462.1254264751012.JavaMail.root at elwamui- 
> rubis.atl.sa.earthlink.net>
> 	
> Content-Type: text/plain; charset="us-ascii"
>
> An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
> URL: http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/pipermail/pharmwaste/attachments/ 
> 20090929/758c3194/attachment.htm
>
> ------------------------------
>
> ---
> Note: As a courtesy to other listserv subscribers, please post  
> messages to the listserv in plain text format to avoid the garbling  
> of messages received by digest recipients.
> ---
> TO SUBSCRIBE, go to:   http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/ 
> listinfo/pharmwaste
> TO UNSUBSCRIBE, DO NOT REPLY TO THE LISTSERV. Please send an e-mail  
> to pharmwaste-unsubscribe at lists.dep.state.fl.us -- the subject line  
> and body of the e-mail should be blank.
> If you believe you may be subscribed with a different email  
> address, please visit the subscriber listing at http:// 
> lists.dep.state.fl.us/cgi-bin/mailman/roster/pharmwaste
> FOR PROBLEMS:  Contact List Administrator  
> Laurie.Tenace at dep.state.fl.us
> SEND MAIL to the list server at:  pharmwaste at lists.dep.state.fl.us
>
>
> End of Pharmwaste Digest, Vol 47, Issue 6
> *****************************************


________________________________________________

Please consider the environment before printing this E-mail.





-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: http://lists.dep.state.fl.us/pipermail/pharmwaste/attachments/20090930/5c54a7c5/attachment.htm


More information about the Pharmwaste mailing list