[Pharmwaste] FW: Chemicals in water altering genders of fish (*LakePepin, Peedee and Potomac Rivers)

Gilliam, Allen GILLIAM at adeq.state.ar.us
Thu Feb 4 09:47:51 EST 2010

No offense intended Howard, but this has to get a 5 "chuckles up" rating.

It's been stated on this listserve and reported in various studies, "nationwide, there's an overall 50% non-adherence rate".  Where'd you get your 1%?

Ripped a stitch on, "...teaching our sewage systems to render the chemicals benign."

Right on bro, if you meant to equate "teach" to acclimate.  I've not seen any specific studies, but it's quite probable most of our wastewater treatment plants' biomass (the bacterial engine active in converting human waste [organics] to its various inert elements/basic compounds/gases) have been "taught" thru their short little evolutionary periods to adapt and accept as food some pharmaceutical (and personal care) compounds and their metabolites.

The fact remains, they either don't have the time to "learn" and/or just can't use most(?) of the pharmaceutical compounds (inorganics?  Ain't gonna happen) as their food and good portion of un-metabolized and morphed pharmaceuticals are going to pass through to the receiving bodies of water.  Our babies are still going to be born naked.

Each town has its own individually flavored soup making a standardized chemical panacea impossible to design.

The use of pharmaceuticals is on an exponential increase and newer ones are being developed seemingly on a monthly basis.

Again, sorry if I came across as flippant, but the best researchers around the country are working on both source reduction and tertiary WWTP processes which will help remove more of pharmaceuticals (and personal care products) before they reach waters of the U.S.  As long as these two elements work in conjunction, solutions will be discovered and practiced slowly and surely across the nation.

Allen Gilliam
ADEQ State Pretreatment type guy